History of the Gardiner Stand
The stand, named after President John Gardiner, was completed in 1912 at a cost of 4572 pounds to hold 1400 people. The cricket club paid 600 pounds while the football club contributed the balance.
It is the second-oldest surviving grandstand at the old VFL venues, behind the one at Fitzroy.
LinksArticles: Landmark: The Alderman Gardiner Stand, Princes Park | The Gardiner Stand Frank Stapley's Grand Design
Blueseum: John Gardiner | Princes Park | Blueseum image gallery: Gardiner Stand