John Tresize

Career: 1977 - 1978
Debut: Round 1, 1977 v Geelong, aged 24 years, 35 days
Carlton Player No.: 863
Games: 14
Goals: 1
Last game: Round 3, 1978 v Melbourne, aged 25 years, 48 days
Guernsey No. 22
Height: 180cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 26 February, 1953

Tresize wore guernsey #22 in 14 games for Carlton from Season 1977 onwards. He kicked 1 goal for the Blues. Treize had a solid first season with the Blues in 1977 where he played 13 games and polled 5 votes in the Brownlow Medal. Early during the 1978 season Tresize headed back to the bush to play for his original club Kennington, he found the constant grind of travelling from Bendigo to Carlton for training and its impact upon his work commitments far too great a sacrifice. He would be another country lad lost to the big league.

Tresize was born in Bendigo and recruited from Kennington Football Club and later played for Sandhurst FC in the strong Bendigo FL.

John Tresize would also play for Yarrawonga in the Ovens and Murray FL as well as coaching Cobram FC in 1985-86.

Tresize heads back to Bendigo
JOHN “Smokey” Tresize’s return from Carlton was the major selection news at the end of May, 1978 in the Bendigo Football League. Suspended by the Blues eight days before Round 8 Tresize had been cleared back to the Kennington-Strathdale Cockerels. The clearance was granted in the week beginning May 22, 1978. That paved the way for Kennington coach -- Fred Swift -- and his match committee to name Smokey in their side for the Round 8 match against Kyneton. Twenty-four-year old Tresize had played a total of 14 senior games for Carlton during the 1977-78 seasons. Swift told the Bendigo Advertiser that although his recruit had been “out of football for two to three weeks he should prove a match-winner in the BFL.” Smokey was cleared back to the Cockerels by the Blues for the remainder of the 1978 season. JUST like Tony Southcombe in the previous season, Tresize had found it difficult to juggle work commitments with the constant travelling to Princes Park for training. On his return to the Cockerels, Swift named him as a ruck-rover. The other “ins” for Kennington for the May 27 Neale Street Oval clash against Kyneton were wingman John Hecker and centre half-back John Bridgefoot. Originally from Benalla, Bridgefoot had polled six votes in the $500 Bendigo Advertiser Best Player award for his effort against Sandhurst on April 29. Hecker had played for the Cockerels against Eaglehawk in the previous round. He had secured his spot when the team had to be re-shuffled just before it took the field. Phil Byrne was also on the Cockerels’ playing list in 1978. Tiger selectors dropped Dennis Sheppard and brought in Schmidt and Perry although small forward Ray Birkin was left on the interchange bench. As the match panned out, Kyneton scored its first win for the season against a very inaccurate Kennington-Strathdale. Graeme Dunn at full-back and Dennis Nelson at centre half-back harried the Cockerels’ forwards all day even though Steve McKerrow landed five goals for the home side. Jimmy Flynn (7) and playing coach George Elders (3) were the Tigers’ main goalkickers. Kennington small men Roy Woolley and Matt Kalz, along with Bill Grant, were good early but the Tigers’ ball-gatherers wore them down. Tresize was taken from the field in the latter part of the final quarter but the ankle injury was not as serious as first thought.

Blueseum: Summary of playing statistics for John Tresize Tresize's Blueseum Image Gallery
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , Bombasheldon , molsey , tmd1 , true_blue24 and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 05 of March, 2023 15:59:54 AEDT by Jarusa.

Google Search

Random Image

1978 - Ex Blue "Frosty" Miller marks strongly (14/09/78).
DG 1968 Jezza and Stephen.jpg

Online Users

193 online users