Max Thomas


Career : 1966
Debut : Round 1, 1966 vs Richmond, aged 20 years, 349 days
Carlton Player No. 780
Games : 2
Goals : 1
Last Game: Round 2, 1966 vs St Kilda, aged 20 years, 354 days
Guernsey No. 4
Height : 188 cm (6 ft. 2 in.)
Weight : 78.5 kg (12 stone, 5 lbs.)
DOB : May 27, 1947

Since 1897, two men with the surname Thomas have represented the Carlton Football Club at senior level, and both preferred to be called Max. In each case, this was not their first given name, so a certain amount of confusion has resulted. The first Max Thomas to wear navy blue was Albert Maxwell Thomas, who played 24 games for Carlton between 1952 and ’54. He is now referred to as A. Max Thomas.

The second Max Thomas - and the one we are concerned with here – is John William Maxwell Thomas, who joined the Blues from Traralgon and wore guernsey number 4 in the first two games of season 1966. A slender ruckman-forward who had been a standout in Traralgon’s LaTrobe Valley Football League Premiership team the previous year, Max was a few weeks short of his 20th birthday when he made his debut in the opening game of the season against Richmond.

As usual when Carlton and the Tigers met during that era, that match was a fiery and controversial encounter. At full-time, the siren didn’t work and nobody could hear the bell. The game continued for an extra five and a half minutes, causing a ground invasion by frustrated fans. Eventually, a mounted police officer galloped out to alert the field umpire, and order was eventually restored. Thomas started the game in a forward pocket before being given a run in the ruck, where he soon marked within scoring range and kicked truly to bring up his one and only career goal. But in a torrid last quarter, Richmond’s better accuracy around the goals was decisive, and they beat the Blues by one straight kick.

Having shown some aerial ability, Thomas was retained in the team for round 2 against St Kilda at Moorabbin – where the Blues folded dramatically in the last quarter and were smashed by 53 points. There being no interchange, he was moved to full-forward after injuring his knee earlier in the match. Thomas was well-held by the Saints champion full-back Bob Murray, and did not trouble the scorers.

Thomas was omitted from the team due to injury. He remained at Carlton for the rest of 1966 and 1967. He underwent two knee operations and managed to play several reserves games. After being delisted at Carlton, he played several seasons with Greensborough in the Diamond Valley League.

Blueseum: Summary of playing statistics for Max Thomas | Thomas' Blueseum Image Gallery
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , blueycarlton , molsey , pblue , PatsFitztrick , tmd1 , p(12)terg and admin .
Page last modified on Saturday 13 of April, 2024 13:28:59 AEST by Jarusa.

Online Users

69 online users