Carlton defeated Fitzroy by 76 points at Brunswick Street Oval. Soapy Vallence kicked 7 goals. Jack Carney debuted.

Round 1, 1936

Venue: Brunswick Street OvalDate: Saturday May 2, 1936
Result: Win by 76 pointsUmpire: McMurrayCrowd: 32,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 7.2, M.Johnson 6.1, A.Clarke 5.0, C.Denning 2.4, C.Davey 1.4, R.McLean 1.4, G.Dougherty 1.2, M.Crisp 1.0, Collard 0.2
Best: J. Carney, K. Shea, F. Gill, B. Green, H. Vallence, M. Johnson
Reports: Injuries: B.Green (gash over eye) replaced by F.Gilby towards end of third quarter. J. Hale (knee) 4th quarter.

Game Review

Carlton commenced the 1936 season with a thumping 76 point win over a listless Fitzroy. Displaying superb football, with pace, great position play, teamwork and clever handball, the Blues were dominant all over and produced an almost flawless game. This win set a new record for the highest score kicked by a team in an opening VFL round.

Several players were unavailable for the opening match. Eric Huxtable was still recovering from a car accident earlier in the year and would miss several games, and Ron Cooper was still in Western Australia after leaving the club after the 1935 season. There was much speculation that he was returning to the club. New recruit Jack Carney from Geelong would make his debut for the Blues and Rod McLean was included for his second game. Fred Gilby was named 19th man.

Fitzroy won the toss and kicked to the Brunswick Street end. Carlton opened brilliantly, showing plenty of pace and after two behinds, Denning goaled, the result of some clever handball. The Maroons replied straight away with a goal from a nice snap. It was a fast, running game early. At the five minute mark, Vallence opened his account with a left foot snap goal and followed up moments later with another nice snap; both goals coming as a result of accurate passes from Carney, who was on top on his wing. McLean was also playing well early. Carlton scored their fourth goal through Clarke who goaled on the run. The Blues went forward again but scored only a behind, and from a poor kick out from goal by Fitzroy, the ball went straight to Dougherty, who kicked an easy goal. It was all Carlton at this stage, dominant across the centre and in the ruck. Davey added two behinds, before atoning and kicking straight for the sixth goal. After 22 minutes, Carlton had 6-5 on the board and led by 34 points. Fitzroy scored their second goal from a free kick to which Johnson replied immediately. Two more goals were scored by Fitzroy in a promising burst of football, but Johnson’s second goal steadied the ship as the bell sounded, with the Blues 29 points up at quarter time.

Upon the resumption, Johnson sent Carlton into attack but his shot hit the post. Fitzroy brought up their fifth goal with a towering punt kick, but Vallence responded smartly with his third goal. The pace had slackened and Fitzroy now produced its best form of the day, scoring a goal and a behind. Showing some lovely play, Clarke kicked Carlton’s tenth goal after dodging around two defenders. The Maroons were attacking well, but poor co-operation in the forward line was letting chances slip. Vallence put the Blues further ahead with a goal from a well-deserved free, before Fitzroy kicked their seventh goal, following a mark right in front. Despite Fitzroy’s resurgence, the Blues were winning all over the ground, and had a lead of 28 points at the main break in a dominant display. Carney, Shea, Davey, Gill, Vallence and Green were standout performers to half time.

Carlton kept the pressure up after the break. Brilliant goals to Johnson and Vallence increased the lead. Fitzroy scored their eighth goal, but McLean answered with his first goal for the club. A place kick brought up a Fitzroy goal and another soon after had their fans hoping. But Denning, good all game, scored another to increase the lead. The Blues looked confident and poised and were helped by the many errors that Fitzroy was making. The defence was very strong and there was little teamwork by Fitzroy when they did go forward. Five minutes before the quarter ended, Green collided with a Fitzroy opponent and was assisted from the ground. Gilby came on and went into defence and new captain Francis moved to Green’s wing. Carlton finished the quarter with Clarke and Johnson finding gaps in the forward line to each goal and establish a 50 point lead at the last change.

Strong defence from Fitzroy kept the Blues out for the opening minutes of the quarter, before Shea assisted Johnson to his fifth goal. Another Carlton goal followed, before the Maroons kicked two in a row, their 11th and 12th goals. But the Blues were well in command and with undiminished pace and clever play, poured on three goals. Even the loss of Hale with an injured knee, leaving Carlton with only 17 players, failed to stem the tide. Dejected Fitzroy supporters started leaving, as the game looked like becoming a rout. The Fitzroy defence was powerless to stop Clarke helping Crisp to the 23rd Carlton goal. A consolation late goal was scored by the Maroons, but the Blues finished strongly, with McLean kicking to Johnson, who ran into an unguarded goal for his sixth for the day. When the final bell sounded minutes later, Carlton had won a decisive victory by 76 points.

N.B Monday's Age had A.Clarke kicking 4.0 and M.Crisp kicking 2.0.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 2nd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 187.4.


B: 26 Jim Park 21 Frank Gill 1 Frank Anderson
HB: 11 Jack Hale 24 Gordon Mackie 10 Jim Francis (c)
C: 7 Jack Carney 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 15 Maurie Johnson 35 George Dougherty 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 13 George Collard 22 Harry Vallence 34 Clen Denning
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 14 Rod McLean 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 6 Fred Gilby
Coach: Frank Maher


Debut: Jack Carney - a diminutive wingman recruited from Geelong - played his first game for the Blues, and was adjudged Best on Ground.

1936 | Round 2
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , molsey , WillowBlue , kkk , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 09 of March, 2020 08:41:12 AEDT by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1993 - Blues reserves player Brad Scott (left).
1980 Rd 1 Maclure snaps for goal.

Online Users

238 online users