Carlton defeated Fitzroy by 43 points at the Brunswick Street Oval.

Round 10, 1933

Venue: Brunswick Street OvalDate: Saturday July 1, 1933
Result: Win by 43 pointsUmpire: Ellingsen Crowd: 33,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 5, A.Clarke 2, R.Leffanue 2, M.Crisp 1, C.Davey 1, J.Green 1, K.Shea 1.
Best: G. Mackie, A. Clarke, C.Davey, M.Crisp, E. Huxtable, A. Egan
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

This game - featuring two top-four sides - attracted a huge crowd to Fitzroy’s Brunswick St. oval. The official attendance figure was 33,000, but the Burnie Advocate (Tasmania) claimed that more than 40,000 packed in to see the Navy Blues strengthen their finals claims by demolishing the in-form Maroons. In a one sided and generally unskilled game, marred by poor kicking form both sides and undisciplined play from Fitzroy, Carlton ran out winners by 43 points on a blustery and cold day.

Crisp came into the side for the injured Johnston and Pollock replaced Hale as nineteenth man. Charlie Davey acted as captain for the day.

Conditions were good as Fitzroy won the toss and kicked to the Brunswick St end. A strong cross wind made early kicking difficult. Fitzroy attacked fiercely early and following a Bullen fumble, took a fine mark from which they scored the first goal of the game. Mackie saved well in defence twice before Carlton steadied for two behinds to Jack Green and Clarke. Fitzroy, faster than Carlton, was using its small men and the wings well and their second goal came from a great snap from a seemingly impossible angle. Carlton’s first goal came following a fine mark to Davey, who passed to Clarke. Mackie, impassable at centre half back, stopped two Maroon attacks. Carlton, avoiding the wings and using the centre corridor went forward and Clarke kicked to Vallence who marked and converted a fine goal. Shea scored a behind following which Fitzroy attacked again, but the Carlton defence repelled and a fine series of passes found Vallence who scored the third goal. Two minutes later, Shea from a free kick kicked Carlton’s fourth. A snap from Fitzroy resulted in a behind right on the bell and Carlton lead by 13 points at quarter time.

The second term opened with a sweeping run from Lefannue, who snapped truly from the goal square to open the scoring. Carlton was now the quicker side and playing cleverly. At time the play was quite rugged which was clearly upsetting Fitzroy. Since the opening bell, the crowd had increased greatly and spectators overflowed onto the ground. The game was halted to attempt to clear them. Now began a series of twelve behinds, with both sides kicking poorly and scoring six each; the muddy wet midfield contributing to many slips and mistakes. Egan, playing well, shot the ball high to Vallence, who took a great mark and kicked Carlton’s sixth goal late in the quarter, which gave the Blues a 25 point lead at the main break.

Fitzroy attacked immediately following the break, but scored three unlucky behinds following a series of forward moves. Good work from Huxtable and Crisp resulted in behinds to Vallence and Shea. Carlton, now well on top and playing cohesively, scored two quick goals; the first to Vallence (from a free) for his fourth and another to Clarke, after some great play from Cooper, Gilby and Crisp saw him unguarded in the goal square. A free kick in the forward line allowed Fitzroy to break the goal drought and score their third goal. Mackie was unsurpassed in defence and time and again stopped Fitzroy attacks. Carlton answered shortly after with a smart goal to Lefannue and then Davey converted a fine pass from Street into Carlton’s tenth goal. A goal to Fitzroy from a fine mark gave them some hope, but a running goal to Jack Green was a quick response. Another fine mark resulted in Fitzroy’s fifth goal and they were attacking again as the bell sounded. Carlton 11-13, Fitzroy 5-15 at three quarter time.

Any chance of victory by Fitzroy was killed by their terrible kicking at goal with four behinds in the first fifteen minutes of the last quarter. The Maroons were lively but were not playing as a team and lacked goal sense. Goals to Vallence from a sharp angle and an easy late goal to Crisp assured Carlton of a victory and any interest had gone out of the game by the time the bell sounded, giving Carlton a deserved victory.

After this round, Richmond (9 wins) Geelong and Carlton (8 wins each) remained the three top sides. Fitzroy (6 wins) were next, under looming pressure from Collingwood and Footscray.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 3rd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 119.1


B: 23 Jim Crowe 26 Jim Park 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 5 Leo Opray 19 Ron Cooper 32 Bob Green
HF: 8 Keith Shea 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 27 Alf Egan 22 Harry Vallence 34 Rod Leffanue
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (acting capt.) 16 Ted Pollock 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 20 Charlie Street
Coach: Dan Minogue

Round 9 | Round 11
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , blueycarlton , timmyd , molsey , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 25 of March, 2018 11:45:48 AEDT by Chicko.

Online Users

53 online users