Carlton snapped back into form and clouted Essendon by 6 goals at the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Round 14, 1906

Carlton 3.7 25 6.10 46 8.12 60 10.12 72
Essendon 0.1 1 3.5 23 4.6 30 4.12 36
Venue: East Melbourne Cricket Ground Date: Saturday August 18, 1906
Result: Won by 36 points Umpire: Wregg Crowd: 25,000
Goalkickers: G.Topping 5, A.Lang 2, M.Grace 1, I.Little 1, R.McGregor 1.
Best: F.Jink, F.Elliott, G.Topping, G.Bruce, R.McGregor, T.Kennedy, C.Hammond, N.Clark, D.Gillespie
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

In this, the last of the home and away rounds, Carlton travelled to the East Melbourne Cricket Ground for what many pundits believed would be a preview of the 1906 Grand Final. Sitting first and second on the ladder, the Same Old and the Navy Blues had been pacesetters all season, and a big crowd turned out for the game in fine weather.

In the days prior, Blues coach Jack Worrall made it plain to his team that a third consecutive loss was out of the question – and they responded by bouncing back to their best to defeat the home side by six goals. Carlton’s defence was watertight, and lively small forward George Topping kicked five goals in a display that sent shivers through every other side in finals contention. Supreme in the air, Blues centre half-forward forward Mick Grace kicked just one goal, but that was enough to keep him on top of the pack chasing the League’s top goal-kicker award. His total of 32 majors saw him just ahead of team-mate Frank Caine (31) and Norm Yeo of Essendon, who didn’t play in this match and remained on 30.

The Blues would now now finish off the season with Sectional matches against Essendon, Geelong and South Melbourne - but barring a whole lot of upsets, Carlton, Fitzroy, Essendon and Collingwood would fight out the Premiership.

"The Dark Blue ruck in the first quarter, "Bill" Jinks, the miner from Bendigo (not Ballarat), Elliott, and Flynn, fairly triumphed over the Essendon followers. Their play was full of power, clean, and insistent, and Carlton led by 24 points at the end of the first quarter. The Carlton positions in the field have been somewhat rearranged, and the innovations were a success. Caine was moved from right forward to the half-forward line, and the big fellow put up the best display he has given for some time. His strength and pace and mighty punting were shown to best advantage. "Mallee" Johnson, the stalwart policeman, was half-back instead of half-forward, and the new position suited him to a nicety, his strong rushes and high-marking turning the tide of many a well-meant invasion. Carlton had another country miner, Marchbanks, from Gaffeny's Creek, and the lengthy digger put in solid work at times. The centre line, as per usual, McGregor, Bruce, and Kennedy, played like veritable artists, dashing and speedy. Hammond, Clark, and Goly/Gillespie were the best of the defenders, and Grace played "heady" football forward, while Topping was as quick and as tenacious as a terrier, securing 5 goals, mostly from snapshots." "At the finish the Carlton players and supporters fairly shook the old gymnasium with lusty cheers." - (Referee August 22 p10)

At the end of this round Carlton were in 1st spot on the ladder with a percentage of 143.8.


B: Norman Clark Doug Gillespie Billy Payne
HB: Martin Gotz George S Johnson Charlie Hammond
C: Ted Kennedy Rod McGregor George Bruce (vc)
HF: Jim Marchbank Frank Caine Mick Grace
F: Ike Little George Topping Alex Lang
Ruck: Jim Flynn (c) Fred Jinks Fred Elliott
Coach: Jack Worrall


In: J.Marchbank, I.Little
Out: D.Harris, B.Meadway
Image Image Image
Images:Trove; Punch Aug 23

Round 13 | Round 15
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , true_blue24 , camelboy , molsey , WillowBlue , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 06 of April, 2015 17:08:45 AEST by blueycarlton.

Online Users

46 online users