Carlton defeated Melbourne by 64 points at the MCG. Soapy Vallence kicked 7 goals.

Round 17, 1933

Venue: M.C.G.Date: Saturday August 26, 1933
Result: Win by 64 pointsUmpire: Scott Crowd: 17,327
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 7, M.Crisp 4, A.Clarke 3, C.Davey 2, J.Green 2, L.Hughson 1.
Best: G. Mackie, R. Cooper, H. Vallence, M. Crisp, J. Green, R. Green.
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

Spurred on by the lure of the finals, Carlton showed no mercy to the struggling Fuchsias, and handed them an 11-goal hiding at the MCG. Once again, ‘Soapy’ Vallence was a focal point at full-forward, where his aerial skills and trusty right boot produced seven goals. Mickey Crisp added another four, and Ansell Clarke booted three as the Navy Blues shouldered their way back up into the four.

Carlton made four announced changes to the team to play Melbourne. Into the side came Opray, Hughson, Ray Harry for his first game and Bob Green, returning from suspension. The omissions were Tommy Downs, who had announced his retirement, Little (illness) Bullen and Egan. Joe Kelly was a late withdrawal due to illness prior to the game and Quinn was his replacement.

Melbourne won the toss and kicked to the Jolimont end. Vigorous play from the start from Carlton resulted in a good clearance from defence by Crowe before Shea passed to Vallence for the first goal. Melbourne responded with a snapped behind. Play was scrambly from the start. Carlton was on top in the ruck contests and marking, and while Melbourne were the faster side, they lacked teamwork. Carlton’s second goal came from Johnson, from a lucky mark right in front. Cooper, in the centre, and Mackie at centre half back were particularly effective for Carlton. For a time, kick to kick football was played, with no side able to break through the other’s defence. Melbourne got their first goal from a lucky free. Carlton was on top over the ground but wasteful in front of goal, kicking eleven behinds by quarter time. The 15 point lead at the change should have been much greater.

Jack Green opened the second term with a nice snap goal immediately on commencement. Play from both sides was now better than the first quarter, but very rough with several players receiving attention throughout the quarter. A great run from the centre from Cooper resulted in Vallence kicking the fourth for the Blues. Carlton, although not convincing, were the clearly the stronger side, with Melbourne ragged with no co-ordination. Suddenly, Melbourne rallied with three quick goals and a stream of attacks and Carlton’s normally tight defence was in chaos. Mackie was playing a lone hand in defence and repelled several attacks. But Melbourne broke through again for their fifth and sixth goals and the lead. Two late goals to Carlton, one of them from Davey restored the lead, but the difference was only nine points at the long break.

A change of tactics after the break saw Carlton establish themselves as the dominant side. Instead of the random forward thrusts of the first half, accurate passing to numerous leads resulted in a string of goals, Vallence kicking the first three. Carlton were still playing vigorously and Melbourne’s defence had crumbled, with the Blues scoring almost at will. Further goals to Davey, Crisp and Clarke and two more late in the term gave a 59 point lead at the final change. Harry had replaced Gilby (twisted knee) during the quarter. It had been a great quarter for Carlton, kicking eight goals four behinds to Melbourne’s two behinds.

Melbourne opened the scoring in the last with their seventh goal, but Carlton was still pressing home numerous attacks and using weight freely. Again the Blues were wasteful, scoring three goals three behinds. At one stage of the quarter, Carlton had a lead of 72 points and eased off slightly. This resulted in three Melbourne goals, but the result was foregone long before. A late goal to Carlton resulted in a 64 point victory, which should have been greater but for wasteful kicking for goal.

In another round of upsets, last-placed Essendon – after 14 straight losses – all but ended Fitzroy’s finals hopes by defeating the Maroons on their home turf at Brunswick St. Richmond impressed by inflicting Geelong’s first home loss for the season, and South Melbourne consolidated their chances with a big win over Hawthorn.

With one round to go in the season, the top four was now Richmond, Geelong, South Melbourne and Carlton. Fitzroy were fifth, facing the huge task of beating Richmond the following week to reclaim a finals place.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 4th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 111.6


B: 23 Jim Crowe 21 Frank Gill (c) 26 Jim Park
HB: 13 Steve Bloomer 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 5 Leo Opray 19 Ron Cooper 32 Bob Green
HF: 8 Keith Shea 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 1 Les Hughson 22 Harry Vallence 30 Ray Quinn
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 25 Ray Harry
Coach: Dan Minogue


Debut and only game: Ray Harry

Round 16 | Round 18
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , timmyd , molsey , kkk , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 06 of May, 2018 20:02:23 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1972 - McKenna's best full-back; Geoff Southby (17/06/72).
1989 - Blue Beauty (May 89).

Online Users

182 online users