Carlton all but sealed our first finals appearance since 2001, running out 54-point winners over the Power at AAMI Stadium.

Round 20, 2009

Carlton2.4168.8 569.116518.13121
Port Adelaide3.6244.7318.10 589.1367
Venue: AAMI Stadium
Date: Sunday, 16 August Result: Carlton by 54 points
Umpires: C. Kamolins, H. Kennedy, S. McLaren, Crowd: 27,221
Goalkickers : B.Fevola 6, M.Murphy 3, B.Gibbs E.Betts 2,A.Walker, C.Judd, N.Stevens, M.Robinson, A.Carrazzo 1.
Reports: Nil Injuries: Hampson (replaced in the side by Cloke), Robinson (foot)
Ladder Position: 5th

Game Review

After a slow start, the Blues turned off the Power in style with this 54-point victory in difficult conditions at AAMI Stadium - notching up our biggest away win since 2000 - over another finals contender on their home turf. This lifted Carlton to fifth place on the ladder, and confirmed the Blues as finals contenders once more.

Beforehand, Carlton were always going to be tested, and we seemed to be in for a real scrap when Westhoff goaled for the Power after just 30 seconds. The home side jumped out to a 14 points-to-1 lead, before Brendan Fevola kick-started the Blues with his first major when he outmarked his opponent Carlisle. But an answer from Tredrea for Port surely got some Carlton fans a little nervy. A Chris Judd goal with four minutes left righted the ship, but at quarter time scores were 3.6.24 to 2.4.16.

Carlton kicked with a swirling wind in the second term. Fevola shanked a shot on goal, only for Eddie Betts to mark and snap truly for the perfect start. With Bret Thornton and Paul Bower working hard in defence, Carlton continued to push forward, and we were rewarded when Marc Murphy put us ahead only 5 minutes in. Port were suddenly second to the ball, and a terrible kick out of defence resulted in a superb set shot goal from Bryce Gibbs. A few minutes later Fevola again out-muscled his opponent, and kicked his second to give Carlton a handy lead. Port ruckman Dean Brogan had much to say during this term, but couldn't stand up when needed. He sprayed a tight-angled close range shot out on the full, and the scores at half time were 4.7.31 to 8.8.56; a 25-point lead to the Blues.

It took 7 minutes of play in the third quarter for the first major, when a goal to Tredrea lifted the home side and their very subdued supporters. Carlton looked scrappy most of the way, and our only goal for the quarter was Fev's third, coming from another solid grab in the goal square. But the Power kept on coming, and Tredrea's second put Carlton under the pump - especially when their lively small forward Robbie Gray goaled after some brilliant ruckwork from Brendan Lade with only seconds remaining. Port seemed to have momentum coming in the last quarter, although Carlton still led by 7 points, and would kick with the breeze coming home.

Prior to this match, Carlton had the best last-quarter record in the competition, and in the next 30 magnificent minutes, proved that we were worthy finals contenders. Gray's miss for Port proved costly, then Fevola marked between the goal and point posts. He played on and the kick was smothered, but the umpire called it back and Fev learnt from his mistake. He slotted his fourth, Port players heads dropped, and when Carrazzo kicked a beauty from the boundary line, it was all over. Fev's fifth major stretched the gap out to a game high 24 points, then Mitch Robinson marked strongly and was awarded a 50-metre penalty. When he goaled and Marc Murphy took a 'hanger' over Chad Cornes and steered through another one, Carlton was putting on a show for the many Adelaide-based Bluebagger faithful. Fevola's sixth was the last goal of the game, and the Blues ran out impressive winners by 54 points.

Best on Ground went to Marc Murphy who had 33 disposals and 3 goals. Bryce Gibbs was outstanding with 32 touches and 2 goals, while Richard Hadley played a great game with 27 possessions. Other Blues who stood out were Andrew Walker, Bret Thornton, Brendan Fevola and Heath Scotland.

The average age of this Carlton team was 24 years and 164 days, with an average League experience of 95.0 games per player. Nick Stevens was the oldest, at 29 years and 225 days, and the most experienced with 228 games. Aaron Joseph was the youngest (20 years and 43 days old) while Mitch Robinson was the least experienced with 10 games.


B: 34 Simon Wiggins 18 Paul Bower 2 Jordan Russell
HB: 12 Mitch Robinson 32 Bret Thornton 33 Ryan Houlihan
C: 1 Andrew Walker 5 Chris Judd (c) 27 Dennis Armfield
HF: 3 Marc Murphy 17 Setanta O’hAilpin 24 Nick Stevens (vc)
F: 6 Kade Simpson 25 Brendan Fevola 19 Eddie Betts
Ruck: 8 Matthew Kreuzer 4 Bryce Gibbs 45 Aaron Joseph
Interchange:10 Richard Hadley 28 *Cameron Cloke 29 Heath Scotland
44 Andrew Carrazzo
Coach: Brett Ratten
Emg: 13 Chris Yarran , 21 Mark Austin, 22 Shaun Hampson

*Cloke replaced Shaun Hampson in the selected side.


Winning Streaks: This was our 3rd victory in a row against Port Adelaide, continuing our record winning streak against them.
Interesting Fact: This win sealed our place in the finals.
Interesting Fact: This was our largest away win since 2000, when we smashed the Eagles by 50 points at Subiaco.
Interesting Fact: This was the second time in the year we'd won three in a row.

Brownlow Votes

3. Marc Murphy, Carlton
2. Chris Judd, Carlton
1. Bryce Gibbs, Carlton

Best and Fairest Votes

44 Bret Thornton, 41 Marc Murphy, 38 Jordan Russell, 36 Bryce Gibbs, 33 Brendan Fevola, 33 Ryan Houlihan, 29 Richard Hadley, 19 Dennis Armfield, 16 Andrew Carrazzo

Round 19 | Round 21
Contributors to this page: molsey , WillowBlue , PatsFitztrick , Bombasheldon , Samuel_CFC and snakehips .
Page last modified on Monday 17 of May, 2010 15:50:57 AEST by molsey.

Google Search

Random Image

Johnston leads his team on to the field.jpg
1996 Rd 4 - Greg Williams.

Online Users

201 online users