Carlton lost to Sydney by 7 points - Telstra Dome. We were close but the Swans' flood was damaging.

Round 3, 2006

Carlton 1.3 9 3.4 22 8.6 54 11.8 74
Sydney 4.3 27 6.4 40 10.7 67 12.9 81
Venue: Telstra Dome
Date: Sat 15 April, 2006, 7:10pm Result: Loss by 7 points
Umpires: Kennedy, Quigley, Wenn Crowd: 36,882
Goalkickers: Fevola 3, Stevens 2, Betts, Bentick, Simpson, Saddington, Koutoufides, McLaren 1
Reports: Fevola (unduly rough play)- 1 week Injuries: Lappin (shoulder)

Game Review

For the second successive week, Carlton would come up against a side under pressure, this time the reigning premiers, who were yet to win a game. Much like Round 2, the Blues started poorly, giving up an advantage in the first half and would have to fight hard to get back into the game.

Sydney play a possession style game with keepings-off for large sections of this match. In contests, they try to break even if they can't win, forcing another stoppage. If you break clear you have many Swans defenders in your forward 50 which makes it hard to score.

The Swans used their game plan well in the first half, choking the Blues forward entries. While playing keepings-off, the Blues could not force any turnovers and the Swans were up accordingly, off the back of almost 200 possessions to half time. But it was to change in the third quarter, as Carlton started winning the clearances and importantly, off the backs of the skill of Marc Murphy, hard work of Adam Bentick and Kade Simpson and non-stop chasing of Eddie Betts. 5 goals in a row would see the Blues draw level, only for the Swans to break away again with two late goals in the third quarter.

Carlton would again threaten in the last, drawing to within one point, but would not be able to break the Swans into more turnovers. With about 10 minutes remaning, the Swans would extend the margin to 7 points and would then spend the remainder of the game playing kick to kick, much to the anger of Carlton supporters, but the Blues were not able to combat this.

In the end, Lance Whitnall was a clear best for the Blues by holding Mountain Man Barry Hall to just the 1 goal. Nick Stevens, Betts, Bentick and Murphy led a young midfield unit back into the game. Carlton were without Waite and Fisher before the game and Lappin shortly into it. Perhaps the result would have been different had they been able to play.

Brought in as a late replacement for Jarrad Waite, Saddington played his first game in Navy Blue after 142 with Sydney.


B: 9 Jason Saddington 32 Bret Thornton 20 Cory McGrath
HB: 29 Heath Scotland 8 Lance Whitnall (vc) 1 Andrew Walker
C: 6 Kade Simpson 40 Adam Bentick 33 Ryan Houlihan
HF: 19 Eddie Betts 26 Adrian Deluca 3 Marc Murphy
F: 10 Dylan McLaren 25 Brendan Fevola 12 Matthew Lappin (vc)
Ruck: 11 Barnaby French 43 Anthony Koutoufides (c) 24 Nick Stevens (vc)
36 Trent Sporn, 15 David Teague, 22 Callum Chambers, 44 Andrew Carrazzo
Coach: Denis Pagan
Emg: Jordan Bannister Troy Longmuir Jason Saddington*
In: David Teague, Jason Saddington*
Out: Luke Livingston, Jarrod Waite (injured)*

-* Late change Saddington for Waite


Debut (Carlton): Jason Saddington
Last game: Callum Chambers

Brownlow Votes

3: Jude Bolton (SYD)
2: Adam Bentick (CARL)
1: Brett Kirk (SYD)

Round 2 | Round 4
Contributors to this page: molsey , BlueWorld , WillowBlue , kruddler and camelboy .
Page last modified on Saturday 24 of November, 2007 15:27:49 AEDT by molsey.

Online Users

99 online users