Round 8, 1932         Carlton defeated North Melbourne by 27 points at Arden Street.

Round 8, 1932

Nth Melbourne3.0186.3398.45211.773
Venue: Arden StreetDate: Saturday June 25, 1932
Result: Win by 27 pointsUmpire: Jack DevineCrowd: 15,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 4, J.Crowe 2, R.Green 2, V.Arthur 1, H.Bullen 1, R.Cooper 1, C.Davey 1, M.Johnson 1, J.Kelly 1.
Reports: Injuries:
Best: Gill, Johnson, Davey, Huxtable, Opray, Cooper

Game Review

South Australian recruit Ralph Green kicked both his career goals for Carlton in this solid win over the Shinboners. Micky Crisp missed the game through a leg injury and Captain Colin Martyn was still unavailable through injury. This game marked Fred Gilby's 100th for the Blues. He had been remarkably injury free and consistent since his debut in 1926.

The Arden St ground was in good condition despite the heavy rain that had occurred in the previous 48 hours. Some surface moisture contributed to ball handling errors early, although Carlton adapted to the conditions much better than North. A pacy North side attacked early but were thwarted by good work from Gill. Inaccurate kicking meant that Carlton kicked four behinds before Kelly's long shot resulted in Carlton's first goal. Both sides were not playing well and an even quarter had Carlton ten points up at the first change.

Ralph Green opened the second term with a goal, before North attacked strongly, kicking two quick goals. North's forward line was well on top and three more followed, before Vallence, after an error from a North Melbourne defender, kicked Carlton's second for the quarter and restored the lead. At half time, Carlton were just in front, 6-8 to 6-3.

On resuming, Carlton, dominant in the ruck and showing great pace through the wings, got into the game and took control. Goals came from Bullen, Vallence, Ralph Green, Johnson and Crowe before North steadied and kicked their first for the term. North, weakened through injuries, could not match Carlton and two more Carlton goals followed to provide a comfortable 38 point lead at three quarter time.

North tried desperately to bridge the gap in the last term and got to within 19 points half way through the quarter, but the Blues attacked strongly in the final ten minutes, with a goal to Vallence putting Carlton 27 points up when the siren blew.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 2nd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 124.2


B: 4 Aubrey Martyn 21 Frank Gill (acting capt.) 20 Charlie Street
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 28 Eric Little 5 Leo Opray
HF: 13 Ralph Green 14 Jack Green 30 Vin Arthur
F: 29 Horrie Bullen 22 Harry Vallence 23 Jim Crowe
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 32 Frank O'Rourke
Coach: Dan Minogue


100 Games: Fred Gilby
Interesting Fact: This was the first of two consecutive away wins against this opponent at exactly the same margin, a feat we've managed 6 times in our entire VFL to AFL history.

Round 7 | Round 9

Random Image

1987 Rd 17 - Wayne Johnston bangs home a major.
1986 GF - Wayne Johnston flies for a grab.

Online Users

196 online users