A 2-point loss to Collingwood at Princes Park ruined the Queen's Birthday long weekend for many Carlton supporters.

Round 8, 1963

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday June 8, 1963
Result: Loss by 2 pointsUmpire: Ron BrophyCrowd: 38,698
Goalkickers: J.James 2, G.Collis 1, B.Cox 1, J.Nicholls 1, B.Williams 1.
Best: S.Silvagni (BOG), J.James, V.Varlamos, B.Williams, B.Buckley.
Reports: Injuries: G.Hardie replaced by B.McMaster-Smith in last quarter.

Game Review

On the Saturday afternoon of the Queen's Birthday split round, the fences around Princes Park were bulging when more than 38,000 fans packed in to see another Carlton-Collingwood confrontation.

The Blues didn't score in the first quarter, and their visitors didn't score in the last - but Collingwood held on in a nail-biting finish to win by 2 points.

Appalling conditions greeted the teams as they ran out onto Princes Park, the Blues seemed to be stuck in the mud for the duration of the match. The visitors were too fast, and surprisingly won in the ruck, with John Nicholls unable to exert a great deal of influence. Serge Silvagni played well as a ruck rover and when resting on the back line. Unfortunately there was only one Serge, he was a lone hand, and was provided with little help. Brian Buckley 'won the ball occasionally', and Maurie Sankey 'did little all day.' Gordon Collis was badly beaten at centre half forward and was replaced by in the second term by John James who played well, but once again, without much support.
12 minutes into the final term, the Blues had reduced the lead to just 2 points. Carlton repeatedly attacked, the mud splattered players of both sides threw themselves into the contests, but the Collingwood defence stood firm.
'The game had a thrilling climax, with Carlton rover Bruce Williams marking 30 yards out from goal, on a slight angle, only seconds before the siren.
The huge crowd watched tensely as Williams wiped the ball, looked at the goals, then ran in and provided a deflating anti-climax by slurring the kick off the side of his boot into the safe arms of an opponent. Had the kick gone truly through the goals it would have been a travesty of justice, as the Magpies undoubtedly were the better side on the day.' (Age June 10)


B: 8 John Benetti 18 Peter Barry 4 Brian Buckley
HB: 32 Vasil Varlamos 20 Wes Lofts 14 Bob Crowe
C: 25 John Comben 9 Berkley Cox 30 Murray Kick
HF: 10 John James 17 Gordon Collis 12 John Gill
F: 16 Maurie Sankey 22 Tom Carroll 15 Greg Hardie
Ruck: 2 John Nicholls (c) 1 Serge Silvagni (vc) 7 Bruce Williams
Res: 35 Doug Ringholt 40 Bruce McMaster-Smith
Coach: Ken Hands

In: J. Gill, G. Hardie, J. Ringholt
Out: M. Cross, K. Greenwood, J. Goold


"Field Umpire Ron Brophy was struck heavily between the shoulders by a half-full beer bottle, during the League game at Carlton on Saturday. In the picture above, taken by a GTV-9 camera, Brophy reels in pain as Carlton follower Sergio Silvagni picks up the bottle. Another Carlton follower Brian Buckley, and Collingwood half-forward, Des Tuddenham move in help Brophy." (Age photo)


50 Games: Wes Lofts

Round 7 | Round 9
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , pblue , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 28 of October, 2013 06:25:06 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1972 - Carlton function with Jones, Keogh, Hurst & Gallagher.
1984 - Fitzy retires; Johnston & Hunter new leaders.

Online Users

177 online users