Carlton defeated St Kilda by 52 points at Princes Park.

Round 18, 1933

St Kilda4.3278.55311.67214.993
Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday September 2, 1933
Result: Win by 52 pointsUmpire: FroodCrowd: 18,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 5, M.Crisp 2, C.Davey 2, J.Green 2, L.Hughson 2, J.Kelly 2, R.Leffanue 2, A.Clarke 1, R.Cooper 1, L.Opray 1.
Best: R. Cooper, R. Green, L. Hughson, J. Kelly, M. Crisp, F. Gilby
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

Despite some dreadful inaccuracy in the first half, and being fully extended for three quarters by a determined St Kilda side, Carlton, although inaccurate and wasteful, produced a big last quarter to win a sometimes spiteful game by 52 points. In doing so, the Blues kicked their highest score for the year. Vallence finished with 5.8, and Mickey Crisp booted 2.6.

On Thursday night Carlton made four changes. Shea could not be considered due to illness, and Bloomer, Harry and Quinn were omitted. Into the side came Leffanue, Bullen, Kelly and Hale. Also on the Thursday night, Mocha Johnson was voted vice-captain by the players to replace Tommy Downs, who had retired.

As a mark of respect, Carlton players wore black armbands to remember former player Norman Collins who had died tragically during the week.

St Kilda, kicking against the wind, was on the board early with two goals, before Vallence opened Carlton’s scoring with a single. A free to Crisp resulted in Carlton’s first goal. St Kilda replied with their third goal, before Crisp kicked a behind from an easy scoring opportunity, running into an open goal. He atoned shortly after by assisting Davey who scored Carlton’s second goal. Hughson was notable early with two high marks. Carlton were playing brilliantly at times, but their accuracy was lacking and scoring opportunities were going missing. Vallence marked brilliantly but could manage only a behind and Crisp, not being guarded closely enough by St Kilda defenders, also missed. Some of Umpire Frood’s decisions were baffling players from both sides. At quarter time, St Kilda had a six point lead, 4-3 to a wasteful 2-9.

Carlton opened the second term strongly with an overhead snap goal from Vallence and then clever work from Cooper allowed Kelly to goal. Another Carlton goal followed, before St Kilda steadied with their fifth and sixth goals. It was thrilling and spectacular football from both sides, with weight being used freely. The umpire seemed to lose control of the game about this time and blows were exchanged from both sides, before tempers cooled and the fine play was restored. Hughson again took a great mark and passed to Clarke for the Blues’ sixth goal. St Kilda were matching Carlton in the air, with some fine marking of their own, but fumbled when in attack several times and chances were missed. A free to Vallence right in front of goal provided another Carlton goal, but two late goals to St Kilda, from a snap and then a nice mark, brought the game closer. Carlton led by eleven points at the long break, but their inaccuracy was costly, with 6-7 scored in the term. Crisp, Hughson and Cooper had been prominent players in the first half.

The Saints started the third quarter strongly with a fine mark and a long 50 yard kick for their ninth goal. They levelled the scores soon after from a well-earned free near goal. It was a fast and entertaining game. Then Carlton, with some great play, produced a dazzling burst with four goals. First, following a sweeping run around the city wing, Jack Green snapped a fine goal. A long kick from Davey was marked by Vallence who goaled with an equally fine kick and then Bob Green, from a free, passed to Leffanue who snapped the eleventh goal. Tempers flared again and Gilby was felled from an accidental collision. St Kilda steadied with their eleventh goal, but Carlton was now in control. Several behinds were scored until Vallence kicked the thirteenth Blues’ goal for a lead of 27 points at the last change.

An early goal to Jack Green put the game beyond doubt and some of the interest of the game had now gone. Carlton pressed home it’s superiority but the Saints were still trying hard. After ten minutes of hard footy, Davey scored his second goal. Vallence missed a shot, before St Kilda responded with two goals. Oprey kicked a clever goal, with Carlton now finishing strongly. Further goals followed to Crisp and Cooper, who had been the instigator of most forward thrusts. A final drop kick to Hughson resulted in the twentieth goal and a 52 point win to Carlton.

In other games, the home and away rounds finished on a sensational note for South Melbourne and Collingwood. Striking top form at precisely the right moment, the Southerners smashed Geelong by 109 points at the Lake Oval and jumped to second spot on the ladder behind Richmond. Bob Pratt reached the 100 goals in a season milestone, and finished the day with 7.7.

At Victoria Park, Gordon Coventry also booted his 100th as Collingwood easily beat Melbourne in a high-scoring romp for the Magpies. Fitzroy’s faint hopes of victory over Richmond came to nothing on a muddy Punt Road oval, and they were beaten by six goals. At day’s end, the final four stood as: Richmond (15 wins, 141.1 %), South Melbourne (13 wins, 127.5 %), Carlton (13 wins, 114.4 %) and Geelong (12 wins, 130.4 %).

The 1933 VFL Premiership would be won by one of these teams.


B: 23 Jim Crowe 21 Frank Gill (c) 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 26 Jim Park 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 5 Leo Opray 19 Ron Cooper 32 Bob Green
HF: 7 Joe Kelly 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 1 Les Hughson 22 Harry Vallence 34 Rod Leffanue
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 11 Jack Hale
Coach: Dan Minogue

Round 17 | Semi Final
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , timmyd , kkk , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 23 of July, 2018 19:58:34 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1987 - Blue Models; Hunter, SOS & Meldrum.
1982 GF - Harmes, English, Ashman & Clarke & the Cup.

Online Users

273 online users