Carlton lost to Collingwood by 30 points at Victoria Park. Three umpires were suspended for not reporting obvious Collingwood offences.

Round 10, 1934

Venue: Victoria ParkDate: July 14, 1934
Result: Lose by 30 pointsUmpire: J. ScottCrowd: 25,000
Goalkickers: J.Cooper 3, M.Crisp 3, R.Cooper 2, J.Francis 1, K.Shea 1.
Best: M. Johnson, F. Gill, M. Crisp, K. Shea, F. Dunn, R. Cooper
Reports: H.Maskell (guilty 6 weeks striking Le Brun) Mackie (fighting)Injuries: E.Huxtable (leg muscle) replaced by F.Anderson at half time, J.Cashman (slipped knee cartledge), T.Pollock (strained leg), J.Kelly (broken teeth), F.Gill (sprained ankle), M. Johnson (bruised shoulder)

Game Review

On Friday 6 July, prior to round 9, The Age reported that the VFL was cracking down on roughhouse tactics and that vicious and ultra-vigorous play would be banned from this round. Players were warned that they could expect severe sentences from the tribunal from now on. All proceeded well for round 9, but when rivals Collingwood and Carlton, first and second on the ladder and acknowledged as the league’s toughest sides, met the following Saturday, it was odds on that, at some point, fur would be flying. And so it was. In a game described as disgraceful by various writers, and by several participants as the roughest and nastiest they had ever played in, Collingwood downed Carlton by 30 points after breaking the Blues’ resistance in the last term.

Only one change was made to the team on Thursday night. Alby De Luca was omitted and Frank Anderson was included as 19th man for his first game. Jack Hale, Charlie Davey and Bob Green were still unavailable because of injuries.

An indication of what players were paid at the time was reported by The Age on the Friday prior to the game:
Special Fees for Seconds at Carlton. In these days when some of the League club committees are at their wits' end to pay even £1 (one pound) a match to their senior players, it is interesting to find the Carlton senior committee agreeing to pay players of the Carlton seconds 10/- (ten shillings) a match, with remuneration for the emergencies. In addition, the senior committee decided that the emergencies to the second eighteen should be paid 5/- (five shillings). Any senior player connected with the first eighteen who is emergency to the senior side is paid £1 10/- besides the ordinary training fee of £1. Second eighteen players receive 10/- per match and if promoted to the senior side receive £3 a match. There is thus plenty of incentive for players to join up with such sides as Carlton, and the old argument comes up that gate receipts should be pooled if the weaker clubs are to be able to pay their way and build up powerful sides.”

A strong wind was blowing across the ground when Johnson won the toss and elected to kick to the outer end. From the start, play was fierce and generally sub-standard, and the game hadn’t been going long before Umpire Scott stopped play on two occasions to allow tempers to cool. The wind was creating havoc with kicking and the game was a scrambling, congested affair. Collingwood opened their score at the two minute mark with a goal from a free. Collingwood was the faster side and a long chain of handpasses around the wing and a long shot at goal was prevented by Dunn, marking well. Shea and Vallence were playing too far up the ground to be really effective, but Shea passed to Jack Cooper and his kick to Cashman was marked just on the behind post. His angle shot went out of play. Carlton’s first goal came from a good pass from Crisp to Ron Cooper and when Jack Cooper snapped a second, the Blues were in front. Collingwood’s reply was swift with two behinds before their second goal through a snap. Another attack was saved by Gill with a doubtful mark. Johnson, playing a captain’s game, was in the thick of things and Ron Cooper, Crisp and Shea were playing dashingly but Collingwood’s dominance in the centre meant they were getting few opportunities. Finally, Jack Cooper got a pass to Ron Cooper, whose running angle shot went straight through. But Collingwood’s response was quick with a goal from a free for a trip and their fourth, late in the quarter, gave them a seven point lead at the first change.

Ron Cooper opened proceedings in the second term with a nice pass to Shea, who kicked to Vallence running into goal, but he missed a very easy shot. Carlton was doing all of the attacking but Collingwood’s defence was very strong. The woodsmen were keeping play on the outer wing and taking advantage of the wind. Vallence was kick to pounce on a Collingwood mistake and shot the ball to Crisp, who goaled to level the scores. But Collingwood counter attacked and kicked two goals to restore their lead. A third goal was only prevented when a running shot was missed. Collingwood had adapted to the windy conditions better and was using the ball wisely. Collingwood attacked again and Johnson relieved, but was unluckily penalised for running too far. Only a behind was scored from the free. Carlton fought back with some team lifting play when Francis, playing well in the centre, evaded three opponents and goaled with a lovely drop kick after a great run. Umpire Scott had the game under control but was allowing too much latitude and the rough play continued. A late goal to Collingwood made the difference 16 points at half-time.

Huxtable did not take the field after the break due to a torn thigh. Anderson took his place and was immediately in the action with a nice piece of play. Carlton was doing all of the attacking early and Pollock had a chance to score but kicked into the mark. Two more attacks were thwarted by strong Collingwood defence. Shea had been moved into the roving position but wasn’t quick enough to match the pacy Collingwood small men. A great goal to Collingwood brought the crowd to its feet, but an equally fine chain of marks between Johnson, R. Cooper and Crisp enabled Johnson to pass to Shea who scored a nice goal on the run. Another Carlton attack around the wing was repelled and Collingwood went forward again. Gill prevented a goal with a great spoil but was caught holding the ball and Collingwood had their ninth goal. The Collingwood forward line was well on top and troubling Carlton’s defence. Half way through the quarter, a brawl broke out in the centre of the ground. The details are well documented below. When play resumed and order was restored, Gilby attacked for Carlton and Johnson and Shea combined to get the ball to Jack Cooper who scored a nice running goal. Carlton got closer when a miskick from Shea was marked by Crisp who goaled to leave the Blues 13 points down at the last change.

Play settled down in the last quarter and while still rough was in the most part fair. Collingwood’s steadiness was now apparent and a chain of passes resulted in their tenth goal. The ‘pies were now clearly on top, with control all over the ground and were faster than Carlton, who had several players noticeably limping. Carlton’s defence was now wilting and another two Collingwood goals were scored. The Blues, although trying hard, were fumbling and misjudging the ball while Collingwood was more assured and displaying great team work. Play became heated again, but once things had settled down, Collingwood attacked again and goaled to put the seal on the result. With five minutes to go, Carlton was 42 points down. Still working hard, Carlton went forward and Jack Cooper marked and goaled. A final rally just before the bell resulted in a hurried snap goal to Crisp and a 30 point defeat in a sensational game of football.

After a fiery game, Carlton players Mocha Johnson (cleared), Gordon Mackie and Harold Maskell (6 weeks each) were reported and suspended arising from the brawls against Collingwood, in which 10 players were injured . As well, one goal umpire and both boundary umpires were punished by suspension for not reporting obvious Collingwood offences during the clash. They were suspended for the remainder of the season by the VFL for dereliction of duty.

Carlton Club Incensed

To read click here> http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85469707

"Spirit Of The Game Sacrificed," Says Club President (Dave Crone)

A report from the Recoder, Port Pirie S.A. (July 16)
To read click here> http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96069804

Police help end 20-player brawl
Police helped officials to break-up a vicious brawl involving 20 players during the third quarter of a fiery clash between Carlton and Collingwood at Victoria Park. Three Carlton players were reported after the brawl in which numerous blows were struck. Earlier, Collingwood's Syd Coventry was knocked out by a blow to the head and had to leave the ground with concussion. The game, won by Collingwood, was the most spiteful in years. The heavy cross-wind made play difficult, and many players resorted to rough-house tactics. Ten players were injured in a bruisng encounter. Each side blamed the other for causing the brawl. - 100 Years of Australian Rules Football.

Carlton-Collingwood Brawl

Growing List of Casualties

A disgraceful brawl that occurred towards the end of the third quarter of the match between Collingwood and Carlton, at Victoria Park, Melbourne, last Saturday, was the culmination of the undue vigor that has been infused into Victorian League football this year.
It is patent that teams take to the field more often than not with the deliberate intention of crashing their way to victory. The policy of the various coaches is to make their men "go through hard." Opponents must be shown no mercy when it comes to the use of weight.
While this is all very exciting, and certainly makes for sensationally fast and fierce football, it constitutes a grave danger to the good name of the game, as last Saturday's incident proved. Once let tempers, as a rule admirably held in check, becomes loose, and what follows is a brawl.
Collingwood and Carlton have excelled in the "hard and heavy" stuff this season, and it was recognised that their meeting would resolve itself into a trial of strength, courage, and endurance. Everybody knew that the side which would first establish superiority in the relentless use of the shoulder and hip would secure a tight grip on the game. What was expected to happen did happen. The weight was right from the start. Some of the crashes were so terrific that it was a matter for wonder how the men concerned in them stood up to the battering. That they did stand up to it, and go in again to give and take more, was a tribute to their magnificient physical fitness and courage.
Whether or not it was the importance of the match to each club made the players rather "nervy," it is a fact that quite early tempers showed obvious signs of fraying. Trouble was brewing, but umpire Scott checked them quickly, and the game proceeded. Between the ruckmen, however, bumping became more than vigorous. It had developed into a reckless disregard of consequences. Two men in particular, were conspicuous for their ardour.
It was from one of these clashes that Syd Coventry, captain of Collingwood staggered back holding both hands to his face. In plain view of every person in a crowd of 30,000 Coventry had received a violent right-hand punch on the jaw. Immediately the inevitable happened. That punch unleashed tempers everywhere. Players rushed to the centre of the ground. In the forefront was Gordon Coventry. A melee developed, from which Gordon Mackie a big, powerful Carlton centre half-back, stumbled out bleeding profusely from the nose.
Fists were flying in the mob, and the central umpire and boundary umpires were dong their utmost to separate the combatants. Half a dozen trainers and two policemen rushed across the ground, and at last, by their combined efforts, peace was restored, and the players went back to their positions. The bell signalled the end of the quarter shortly afterwards, and Syd Coventry left the ground. He was found to be suffering from concussion and was removed to his home.
One has to go back in memory many years to recall so regrettable an incident.
The Victorian Football League and its umpires are to blame for the creation of a condition of affairs in which the average football coach places the premium on pace and the unrestricted use of weight. The fact that in recent seasons the "come through" game has met with so much success has encouraged club committees to recruit as many big, strong, fast fellows as possible. The result is that the pace at which League football is played is amazing; but this pace is obtained at the constant risk of personal injury - often serious injury. For proof of this, it is necessary only to study the casualty lists after the matches each Saturday.
Nobody wishes to render football less attractive by the undue restriction of full-blooded vigor, but something must be done by the League to place a limit on the use of weight in a manner likely to lead to incidents such as those of Saturday last.
Followers of football in Melbourne were amazed to discover on Monday that only three players were reported - and not one of them a Collingwood man.
Mr. McBrien, secretary of the V.F.L., received notification of the following charges against players: -
G. Mackie (Carlton), having struck Syd. Coventry
H. Maskell (Carlton), having struck N. Le Brun
M. Johnson (Carlton), having struck J. Ross
In view of the fact that many thousands of people saw a Collingwood player deliberately punch Mackie, and that twice in the first quarter the game was held up while the central umpire cautioned two Collingwood players. It is astonishing that no charges should have been laid against players of the Collingwood team.
Carlton members were dumbfounded. It has been stated that several Carlton players are prepared to sign affidavits that the trouble was started by a well known Collingwood player striking Johnson the Carlton captain. The Collingwood player was immediately punched by a Carltonian and the latter by another member of the Collingwood. Then the free-for-all commenced.
Specially convened meetings of the Carlton executive were held on Sunday and Monday, and it was decided to ask the League to conduct an inquiry, with special reference to the failure of the umpires to report certain Collingwood players.
(Trove: Referee July 19 1934 p19)

At the end of this round Carlton were in 5th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 118.0.


B: 25 Harold Maskell 21 Frank Gill 5 Keith Dunn
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 10 Jim Francis 27 Terry Ogden
HF: 8 Keith Shea 22 Harry Vallence 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 4 Jack Cashman (acting vc) 33 Jack Cooper 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 16 Ted Pollock 15 Maurie Johnson (c) 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 1 Frank Anderson
Coach: Dan Minogue


Debut : Frank Anderson
Interesting Fact : Jim Francis kicked his first goal for Carlton in this match (one of 52 in his career) but he would have to wait another 100 games before he kicked his second!

Round 9 | Round 11
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Jarusa , Chicko , Bombasheldon , molsey , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , WillowBlue , kkk , camelboy and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 17 of January, 2022 16:33:25 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1987 2nd Semi - Stephen & Serg Silvagni after the game.

Online Users

96 online users