Carlton defeated Geelong by 33 points at Corio Oval.

Round 12, 1935

Venue: Corio OvalDate: Saturday July 13, 1935
Result: Win by 33 pointsUmpire: McMurrayCrowd: 14,500
Goalkickers: K.Dunn 3, J.Hale 3, H.Vallence 3, M.Crisp 1, C.Davey 1.
Best: J. Francis, E. Huxtable, J. Hale, A. De Luca, G. Mackie, C. Davey
Reports: Injuries: 'Micky' Crisp (shoulder) replaced by B.Treweek in final quarter.

Game Review

Carlton made sure the road trip to Geelong wasn’t wasted with a strong 33 point win over the Cats. Restricting the home side to just two goals after quarter time, Carlton dominated in all positions to rise to second on the ladder.

At Thursday night’s training, Frank Maher placed a heavy emphasis on forward line work, aiming to build up strength and depth in that area. Frank Gill would miss again with influenza and Ted Pollock was also out with the same virus. Several players were nursed through the session; Clete Turner, Bernie Treweek and Ray Quinn had heavy colds and Alby De Luca had ankle soreness, but all were expected to be available. In the end, the only change made to the team was Wally Mutimer included in place of Pollock. Treweek was again 19th man.

As expected, the Corio oval was heavy due to recent rain and a drizzle falling at the start made conditions difficult. Geelong kicked with a strong wind and was first into attack but Davey was in the way and received a free. His kick was poor, and Geelong marked and scored the first goal. Attacking again, a long shot fell just in front of goal and a nifty recovery resulted in the second goal. At this stage Geelong was on top. Their defence and rucks were winning and they were playing confidently. Carlton attempted to mount an attack around the wing but Geelong rebounded and scored a behind. From defence, Francis found De Luca who passed to Vallence for the first Carlton goal at the ten minute mark. This seemed to restore the Blues’ confidence and some smart ground play, again using the zigzag passing method between Huxtable, Johnson and Mackie, brought two goals and the lead. First, Hale kicked nicely from a tight angle to goal and then Dunn got the third. Geelong’s defence was giving the Carlton forwards too much latitude. The conditions and greasy ball were combining to make the game slow but the football was generally of good standard. Huxtable and Anderson were both good players in defence and the Blues were now winning in the air and in general play. Late in the quarter, Geelong got the lead back with a wonderful overhead snap goal followed by some good play in the centre which brought up another. At the first change, Geelong led by ten points.

The rain had stopped when play restarted. Huxtable, relieving an attack, passed to Mutimer. He kicked the ball into the forward line, where Hale, from a pack, snapped his second goal. Geelong mounted an attack but great play from Gilby stopped any scoring. Carlton was quicker than Geelong in ground play and were using handball intelligently to create opportunities. By contrast, the Cats had no co-ordination in their play and their defence had become quite loose. From a scramble in a pack, Dunn broke clear and snapped Carlton’s fifth straight goal. De Luca was playing well at centre half forward and he gave Johnson two chances to score, but a behind and a kick out of bounds were poor returns. Geelong now attacked but could manage only two behinds, due to strong defence from Huxtable, Mackie and Francis. Play had become congested, with lots of packs and crushes. Hale, Francis and Green combined well to attack but Geelong rebounded and goaled from a long way out. Another Geelong attack was stopped by Francis and kicked into the Carlton forward line, from where Crisp restored the lead with a goal right on the half time bell.

Both sides were determined to break away and the game became quite physical and willing. Geelong was first to score with their sixth goal, which gave them the lead. At this stage, the Cats were faster and looked like the winning side, but that goal was their last for the day. Carlton rallied and Shea, elusive in the centre, kicked to Johnson. He and De Luca assisted Vallence to the seventh goal. A period of tough, desperate football resulted in Dunn kicking his third goal to increase the lead. Carlton’s defence was now well on top and Green and Crisp, both well held in the first half, came into the game. Green relieved a Geelong attack and forwarded only for Geelong to repel. But the kick went to Vallence, who had no problems goaling, making the lead 17 points. The Cats could make no headway against the co-ordinated, team oriented Carlton defence. Davey scored the tenth goal late in the term. Johnson, Green and De Luca had been prominent in the quarter and Carlton’s high marking and position play in the term had been superb. Kicking 4-3 to 1-0 against the wind was match winning work.

Geelong moved players around in the last term in an attempt to get back into the game, but Carlton stayed well on top. Using the zigzag passing, the Blues went forward but good defence by Geelong resulted only in behinds to Vallence and Clarke. Geelong finally managed a behind but Francis, Mutimer and Davey had no problems clearing from defence. Crisp left the ground nursing an injured shoulder and was replaced by Treweek. The heavy ground had taken its toll and players from both sides looked weary. The game had also become fiery as fatigue set in, although Carlton still had legs enough to bring attacks around the wings. Late in the term, Hale kicked the first and only goal for the quarter to set up a comfortable 33 point win. In a good, all round display, Carlton’s pace in the second half was its greatest asset and as the game progressed the Blues were on top in all positions.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 2nd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 140.0.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 26 Jim Park 1 Frank Anderson
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 10 Jim Francis
C: 27 Clete Turner 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 15 Maurie Johnson 20 Alby De Luca 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 5 Keith Dunn 22 Harry Vallence 11 Jack Hale
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (c) 3 Wally Mutimer 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 28 Bernie Treweek
Coach: Frank Maher


Last Game (Carlton): Bernie Treweek
100 Goals: Charlie Davey

Round 11 | Round 13
Contributors to this page: Chicko , blueycarlton , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , molsey , timmyd , WillowBlue , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 30 of June, 2019 15:26:44 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1977 Bruce Doull quote (18/08/77).
1988 Rd 17 - Madden and Wilson wrestle.

Online Users

191 online users