Ron Cooper and Horrie Bullen made their debut, as Carlton beat Collingwood by 20 points at Princes Park.

Round 5, 1932

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday May 28, 1932
Result: Win by 20 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 32,000
Goalkickers: M.Crisp 3, H.Vallence 2, V.Arthur 2, R.Cooper 1, J.Crowe 1, A.Egan 1, J.Green 1, M.Johnson 1, C.Street 1.
Best: G.Mackie, C.Street, R.Cooper, L.Oprey, C. Davey, E. Little.
Reports: Injuries: C.Davey (arm) replaced by J.Young at half time.

Game Review

An equal start gave way to a comfortable Carlton victory.

Ron Cooper played his first game for the Blues, after successfully gaining his transfer on the Wednesday prior to the game. During the game, a collection was taken up for Tommy Downs who was serving a suspension until the 1933 season.

In a tight contest all day, it was not until late in the final quarter that a win for Carlton was obvious.

Carlton, faster and steadier than Collingwood, opened with a series of attacks, with Crisp scoring the first goal. Davey was winning well in the ruck and it was not until he was spelled, that Collingwood kicked two goals. Then, Opray's good work on the wing gave Arthur a great running goal. Shortly after, Crisp marked a pass from Opray to kick our third goal for the quarter. At the first change, scores were tied at 3-3 each.

Egan opened the scoring in the second term, kicking a point after good work from Crowe and Cooper. Street repelled a Collingwood attack and Jack Green found Arthur for Carlton's fourth. After Collingwood kicked a goal, Vallence and Crisp both replied with goals to increase Carlton's lead to 16 points. From then on, the Magpies took control and kicked three goals to take a slim lead. A late rushed behind to Carlton made the deficit only one point at the main break.

Davey did not resume after half time due to an arm injury. The third quarter was closely fought and rugged with both sides determined to score, but four goals from Cooper, Vallence, Green and Johnson gave a 17 point advantage to the Blues at the last change.

Collingwood opened the last quarter with a quick goal, before Street answered with his first Carlton goal. However, Collingwood kicked the next two to only trail by 5 points. Carlton's backline repelled several attacks as Mackie, Huxtable and Gilby were all well on top and proving impassable. Crowe kicked Carlton's twelfth goal as time on began and Egan's goal on the siren gave a well deserved twenty point victory.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 6th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 107.3


B: 15 Maurie Johnson 21 Frank Gill (vc) 24 Gordon Mackie
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 29 Horrie Bullen 6 Fred Gilby
C: 28 Eric Little 2 Colin Martyn (c) 5 Leo Opray
HF: 30 Vin Arthur 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 27 Alf Egan 22 Harry Vallence 23 Jim Crowe
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 20 Charlie Street 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 18 Jack Young
Coach: Dan Minogue


40th victory over Collingwood - 42 losses
Debut: Horrie Bullen and Ron Cooper

In: Ron Cooper (WA), Horrie Bullen (Doncaster), Colin Martyn
Out: Fred Williams, Jim Park (injured), Joe Kelly

Big Half Back
"Weighing 14 stone and 6ft 1 in. tall, Horrie Bullen, will be centre-half back for Carlton. Since he appeared for Hawthorn in 1926 he has been at Doncaster. Bullen's form in the Wednesday League this week was a big factor in his selection." (Herald May 27 p13)

Round 4 | Round 6
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , WillowBlue , molsey , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , kkk , camelboy and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 16 of November, 2021 21:50:29 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1980 - Cheer Squad Leaders contact details.
Garlett catches a Magpie - Rd. 17, 2011.jpg

Online Users

271 online users