Carlton lost to South Melbourne by 43 points at the Lakeside Oval. In a goal-fest, Pratt booted 11 for South, while Soapy Vallence kicked 7 for the Blues before going off injured.

Round 12, 1933

Sth Melbourne5.3339.116512.128415.13103
Venue: Lakeside OvalDate: Saturday July 15, 1933
Result: Loss by 43 pointsUmpire: BlackmanCrowd: 32,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 7, A.Egan 1, K.Shea 1.
Best: E. Huxtable, J. Kelly, H. Vallence, K.Shea, F. Gilby, M. Crisp
Reports: Injuries: J.Green replaced E.Huxtable (leg) during last quarter.

Game Review

On dry day, but with the Lakeside Oval left heavy by days of rain, Bob Pratt's 11 goals for South Melbourne was almost matched by Soapy Vallence’s 7 majors in his team's total of 9. It was a superb effort from both players - especially Vallence - who was injured soon after half-time and left the field in the last quarter.

This result was an indication of things to come, as Pratt would also score double-figure tallies in his next two encounters with the Blues (see round 2, 1934 and round 13, 1934).

Carlton made no change to the side which defeated Richmond the week prior to this game. Faster, supreme in the air and ruck, more aggressive and with their forwards well on top, South pulled off the surprise of the year when they defeated Carlton in this game.

The ground was very muddy in places, making the ball and conditions very slippery. South started well and caught the Blues napping with an early goal. Then Carlton got going and Davey and Shea worked well to get the ball to Vallence, who equalised with a fine left foot snap over his shoulder. South, very fast all over, attacked again and scored a minor before another goal. But Carlton, steadying through Hughson, got a behind from Leffanue, before Vallence, receiving a lot of attention from South defenders, received again and goaled from an angle. South, playing brilliant, fast football goaled again. South may have been faster and more flashy side, but Carlton were playing steady football, and Huxtable, defending brilliantly, enabled Clarke and Crisp to combine to Vallence, who kicked his third goal. South were running Carlton off their feet, but could they sustain this momentum? Brighton Diggins, who would later coach and play for the Blues, was playing particularly well and had a hand in two more goals to South. Late in the term, Clarke and Crisp combining got the ball to Davey, who passed to Vallence for a mark and goal. The bell rang with South eight points ahead. They had adapted to the conditions well, whereas Carlton were clearly troubled. Interestingly, the nine goals kicked in the quarter had been shared by only two men – Pratt, who was clearly beating Park, and Vallence.

South continued the relentless attacks in the second term and Carlton was very much on the defensive. An early behind to Clarke from a Huxtable pass was immediately surpassed by two quick South goals. South, now on top all over, were forcing Carlton to be indecisive and the direct attacking of previous games was lacking. Vallence, closely guarded, was being made to play wide. South’s only fault was their wayward kicking and they went forward ten times for only six behinds. Despite strenuous defence from Huxtable, South scored another two goals for the term, to lead by 39 points at half time. Had they kicked straighter the game would be over. Bob Green was reported for an incident right on the bell. The Blue’s big men, Davey, Hughson and Mackie had been quiet and would need to lift to give Carlton any chance.

An early goal to the Bloods started the second half. This was answered by Vallence with a goal from a long punt from the boundary. Play had become fierce and aggressive and several fiery clashes occurred. Carlton were still having to play wide as South’s defence was too strong. The Blues were rattled and were giving away too many frees, one of which enabled South’s eleventh goal. A goal to Vallence, also from a free, gave Carlton their sixth, but another goal to South, breaking through the defence made the task difficult. Kelly and Shea were trying hard and after a great run, Kelly passed to Egan for the seventh goal. Carlton were 38 points down at the final change.

The centre of the ground was now very muddy. An early South goal put the result beyond doubt, but Carlton was fighting the game out and Hughson and Crisp worked well for Vallence to goal. Another to Shea followed. South answered with two goals and were holding Carlton well when the bell rang for a well-earned 43 point victory. Like the game earlier in the season against Geelong, Carlton had struggled in the wet and muddy conditions.

In a significant result for both clubs, the Blues were relegated to third by this defeat, while the Bloods were now poised only one win outside the four.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 3rd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 111.7


B: 23 Jim Crowe 26 Jim Park 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 19 Ron Cooper 32 Bob Green
HF: 8 Keith Shea 27 Alf Egan 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 1 Les Hughson 22 Harry Vallence 34 Rod Leffanue
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (acting capt.) 20 Charlie Street 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 14 Jack Green
Coach: Dan Minogue

Round 11 | Round 13
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , WillowBlue , kkk , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 15 of April, 2018 10:02:41 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1988: Vital 8 in '88 (SOS & Diesel) - (pg 1 of 2).
1985 - VIC vs WA Line-ups.

Online Users

167 online users