Back pocket in the 1947 flag side.

Ritchie Green

Career : 1946 - 1952
Debut : Round 4, 1946 vs Fitzroy, aged 20 years, 236 days
Carlton Player No. 609
Games : 95
Goals : 1
Last Game : Round 19, 1952 vs Geelong, aged 26 years, 347 days
Guernsey No. 33
Height : 170 cm (5 ft, 7 in.)
Weight : 73.5 kgs (11 stone, 8 lbs.)
DOB : September 17, 1925
Premiership Player 1947

Richard “Richie” Green was an effective, hard-working defender for the Blues during a seven-season career in the decade after World War II. Recruited locally from East Brunswick, he played in two Grand Finals; a famous win over Essendon in 1947, and a bitterly-disappointing defeat by the Bombers two years later. On both occasions, he was listed among Carlton’s best players.

Green played six games in his debut season of 1946, before establishing himself on a half-back flank as Carlton began 1947 with a string of big wins. However, it was his shift to a back pocket midway through that year that defined his career. On the last line of defence, Richie formed a tight combination with champion full-back Ollie Grieve, and the stability they provided throughout the second-half of the season helped lift the Blues to the Premiership in the most dramatic of circumstances.

With less than a minute remaining in the 1947 Grand Final, Carlton trailed Essendon by five points when rover Fred Stafford swooped on a spillage near goal, and snapped truly to give the Navy Blues a sensational victory. Stafford was hailed a hero – which he was – but that moment of triumph was only made possible by the brilliance of Carlton captain Ern Henfry in the centre, a tireless ruck division, and the game-long grit and determination of defenders Grieve, Green and Jim Clark.

Two seasons later, in 1949, Green achieved a milestone when he followed his opponent downfield and kicked his only career goal in Carlton’s huge win over Hawthorn at Princes Park in round 3. The Blues wound up the year second on the ladder, and qualified for their second Grand Final against Essendon in three seasons. This time however, the Bombers were primed and ready. They swamped the Blues in the second half, and ran out 73-point winners, with their first-year full-forward John Coleman kicking six goals to take his season tally to the magical 100. In the face of such an onslaught, Grieve, Green, and centre half-back Bert Deacon toiled hard and long for their side, although any consolation afterward fell on deaf ears.

Another turning point in Richie Green’s career came in round 6, 1951, when Carlton lost to Melbourne at the MCG in Jim Clark’s 150th game. Richie was injured in that match, and didn’t play again at senior level that season. In his absence, Blues coach Percy Bentley asked veteran rover Jack Conley to drop back to the pocket, with stunning results. Conley and Ollie Grieve soon became as close-knit and effective as the Green-Grieve combination had been, meaning that when Richie was fit enough to return to the seniors in 1952, the only place available to him was on a half-back flank.

Although he played another 15 matches that year, Richie couldn’t regain his very best form, and spent considerable time on the reserves bench as 19th or 20th man. Understandably, he became quite disgruntled, and when he was dropped from the team on the eve of the 1952 finals, it spelled the end of his career at Princes Park.

After 95 games in guernsey number 33 for the Blues, Green transferred to South Melbourne in 1953, but played only twice more at senior level before retiring mid-season to captain-coach the Camperdown Magpies in the strong Hampden League.


Green also wore Guernsey No. 20 whilst playing with Carlton's reserves team in 1945.

Camperdown Chronicle June 9, reported;
"Richard Green, former Carlton and South Melbourne player has been appointed coach of the Camperdown Football Club. Green, who is 28 years of age, 5ft, 10 inches in height and weighs 12 stone, first played with Carlton senior team in 1946. In 1947 he was vice-captain of the seconds team and then returned to the senior team where he played on the half-back flank until 1951. For the past two seasons he has played in a similar position for South Melbourne.
The new coach is expected to be available for the match against Colac on June 20."

Richie Green passed away on the 19th March, 1999, aged 73.


50 Games: Round 13, 1949 Vs Fitzroy

Career Highlights

1949 - Most Consistent Player Award


Blueseum: Summary of playing statistics for Ritchie Green | Green's Blueseum Image Gallery
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , Bombasheldon , molsey , pblue , PatsFitztrick , blueycarlton , tmd1 , DeanoSupremo , dgreen2 , WillowBlue , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 16 of May, 2017 23:29:56 AEST by Jarusa.

Online Users

295 online users