Carlton defeated South Melbourne by 6 points - Lakeside Oval

Round 4, 1929

Sth Melbourne2.3154.7315.13439.1973
Venue: Lakeside OvalDate: Saturday May 18, 1929
Result: Win by 6 pointsUmpire: RodwellCrowd: 25,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 4, H.Dunn 2, J.Green 2, E.Shiell 1, A.Doyle 1.
Reports: Injuries: R.Brew (broken nose in third quarter - remained on ground) C.Martyn (strained groin) J. Green (knee) remained on the ground.

Game Review

Although this match was played at the Lakeside Oval, Carlton was expected to easily account for South Melbourne. However the Bloods took on the Blues in a open, high-standard match, and nearly created a boilover when they scored 4.6 to Carlton's 3.2 in the last quarter, and went down by six points to the Blues.

South were first into attack and Joe Kelly and Charlie Parsons repelled their intitial forward moves. Carlton then rallied through Ernie Sheil but only managed behinds. The home side went forward a couple of times and kicked two goals. For a while play was confined to South's forward line where the greasy ball made handling difficult. The Blues finally went into attack taking the ball down through the centre of the ground where Harry Vallence marked and goaled. At quarter time the Blues trailled. 1.6 - 2.3
The Blues drove the ball forward and through some good play by Ernie Shiel kicked the ball to Harry Vallence who goaled. It was now a struggle with the Blues just in front. Carlton took the ball through the centre and Jack Green went down with a injury to the knee. The Blues kept going and Harry Vallence spotted Harvey Dunn who drop kicked the third goal. South took the ball the entire length of the ground without a Carlton player touching it and goaled. Carlton then added two quick goals through Harvey Dunn and Ernie Sheil. Then another goal by Alec Doyle to increase the margin. Just before half time Harry Vallence received a free kick and took full advantage. The Blues led by 22 points. 7.11 - 4.7
After the break South went all out attack. They were faster than the Blues and they held sway in the air. Frank Gill repelled many whirlwind-like forays into South's forward line. The Blues failed to add to their goal tally, but still led at the final break. 7.17 - 5.13
South went forward and added a behind and then a goal. The Blues replied through the good play of Ray Brew and Ernie Shiel whose pass to Harry Vallence resulted in a goal. South were still on top except on the forward line where Frank Gill was dominating. However, the Southerners goaled and were just six points behind. Jack Green gave the Blues a bit of breathing space when he goaled. But it was to be short lived as South drove the ball through the goals. Quickly they scored another major and the scores were level with just minutes to play. Then a screw kick just before the bell by Jack Green resulted in a goal to give the Blues a victory by six points. 10.19 - 9.19

The win lifted Carlton to second on the ladder with a percentage of 133.6, four points behind Collingwood.


B: 4 Aubrey Martyn 21 Frank Gill 13 George Robbins
HB: 3 Charlie McSwain 27 Charlie Parsons 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 2 Colin Martyn 25 Jack King
HF: 22 Harry Vallence 8 Ernie Sheil 16 Harvey Dunn
F: 19 Alec Doyle 14 Jack Green 23 Jim Crowe
Ruck: 18 Tom Byrne 10 Denis Kelleher 26 Ray Brew (c)
Coach: Dan Minogue


Debuts: Jack King and Tom Byrne
Last Game (Carlton): George Robbins

Round 3 | Round 5
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , molsey , timmyd , WillowBlue , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 24 of April, 2018 16:01:23 AEST by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

2007 Rd 10 - Joey Anderson fires off a handball.
1947 Herb Turner Rnd 4 v Footscray

Online Users

236 online users