Carlton defeated Richmond by 20 points - Punt Road Oval.

Round 6, 1927

Venue: Punt Road OvalDate: Monday June 6, 1927
Result: Win by 20 pointsUmpire: BartonCrowd: 42,000 (Record)
Goalkickers: G.Gough 5, H.Carter 3, H.Clover 2, H.Dunn 2, L.Johnson 2, T.Brewis 1, T.Downs 1, G.Hawking 1.
Reports: Injuries: H.Dunn (broken rib), L.Johnson (broken toe), V.Arthur (severe kick to the face)

Game Review

This game was played on the Monday of the King's Birthday long weekend.

Tommy Downs kicks a goal on debut, he would represent the Blues in 56 games over 5 years for 44 goals. His career would also include a few lengthy suspensions handed out by the tribunal.

Vin Arthur would play 64 games for 27 goals in his six years at the Blues. George Gough would play for only two years but kick 66 goals in his 24 game career.

The Monday public holiday and the fine weather, plus two great evenly placed teams, bought the crowd out to the Punt Road Oval which was overflowing, packed with a record crowd of 42,000. Hundreds of people spilled onto the arena sitting between the boundary line and the fence.
Richmond kicked with the wind to the railway end goal. The home side immediately went forward and after some scrambling play scored a behind. Harvey Dunn's pass was intercepted which resulted in a goal to the Tigers. Richmond scored another goal in quick time. Frank Donoghue ran clear and hand passed to Horrie Clover, and he bought up the Blues' first score, a behind. The ball again was brought down to the Tigers' forward line, but a chain of marks by Frank Irwin, Alex Duncan, Vin Arthur, Horrie Clover, Maurie Connell, and Harold Carter (all without Richmond touching the ball), resulted in the Blues' first goal to Harold Carter. Vin Arthur twice defended stoutly and took the ball out of the danger zone. Horrie Clover got the ball to George Gough but he managed only a behind. Richmond then scored their third goal. A move initiated by Maurie Johnson got the ball to Horrie Clover who kicked to Harold Carter for the Blues' second major. Great work by tyro Tommy Downs and he kicked to George Gough who marked. Gough's place kick fell short of the sticks, but it was marked by Horrie Clover and he evened the scores. Out of a scrimmage on the Richmond forward line aTiger snapped a goal.
At quarter time, Carlton trailed by 7 points, 3.2 - 4.3
After the bounce Richmond attacked but Harvey Dunn marked in the goal square and cleared the ball. Once again a chain of marks by Frank Irwin, Vin Arthur, Horrie Clover, and Harold Carter and he passed the ball to George Gough to bring up Carlton's fourth goal. The Blues' fans were in full voice shortly afterwards when Harvey Dunn slotted angled goal. Two attacks by Ted Brewis and Harvey Dunn were blocked by the defenders. Then Alex Duncan and George Hawking combined for George Gough to mark right in front. His kick missed the goals, but his opponent had infringed over the mark, and this time George did not miss. Carlton were now full of running and their confidence was up. Horrie Clover's opponent threw the ball, but Clover missed with the resultant free kick. A great run by Maurie Connell and a free kick to Charlie McSwain, ended up in Harold Carter's hands but he scored a behind. Alex Duncan took a spectacular mark and his kick was marked by Ted Brewis, his long kick just fell over the line to register Carlton's seventh goal. Richmond were becoming rattled and started playing the man. Alex Duncan made an unusual error of judgment and that resulted in Richmond's first goal for the quarter. The Tigers, getting back into the game attacked, but only managed three behinds. Maurie Connell to Les Johnson, and from a free kick he scored the Blues eighth goal.
At half time the Blues led by 17 points, 8.4 - 5.5
With the wind again, Richmond were determined to knock off Carlton's lead. A behind resulted then a goal was scored from a Carlton mistake. This was soon followed by another goal from a free kick. Then a string of four behinds and they led by one point. Then the Tigers scored their eighth goal. The Blues hit back with George Carter kicking a splendid goal from a difficult angle. Richmond then scored two quick goals and the crowd was at fever pitch. Maurie Johnson passed to George Gough who hand balled to Horrie Clover and he made no mistake. Soon after Les Johnson with pace, dashed down from the wing and kicked to George Gough who took a good mark. He too made no mistake. Richmond managed a couple of behinds, and end of the quarter was near. Via the agency of Maurie Johnson, Harvey Dunn, and Harold Carter, the ball ended up with George Gough and the ball sailed through the goal as the bell rang.
At three quarter time the Blues led by just 1 point, 12.4 - 10.15.
Carlton 4 shots for 4 goals, Richmond 15 shots for 5.10!
Now the Blues had the wind and they went into attack, Tommy Downs had a shot but bought up a behind. Richmond then scored a behind. Fred Gilby to Horrie Clover, and his shot hit the top of the post. Both teams were desperate, the speed and the pressure caused mistakes to be made. The Blues streamed into their forward areas Ted Brewis passed to George Gough. As George turned he slipped, but managed to hand pass to Tommy Downs whose clever screw kick found the opening. Fred Gilby again led the attack and kicked to Ted Brewis who kicked across goal to Les Johnson and he passed to George Hawkings who booted the Blues' fourteenth goal. Danger signs for the Tigers and they threw and extra man into the back line. Charlie McSwain to Tommy Downs who found Harvey Dunn and his screw kick bought up the fifteenth major. Richmond then added 1.1 The Blues again went forward and from a free George Gough caused the two white flags to be raised. Les Johnson shortly after added another, before Richmond kicked a consolation goal.
Carlton won by 20 points, 17.8 - 12.18

"In a team where there was scarcely a man who did not play his part at one stage of the game or another pride of place must be given to Connell. Whether placed or following he played a fine dashing and determined game, and his strong rushes frequently dissolved promising forward moves.
McSwain, Donoghue, Irwin and Brewis were a quartet of hard workers.
Duncan marked superbly, but kicked poorly.
Clover was particularly useful in attack. He may not work with the brilliancy of several years ago, but he was particularly well guarded yesterday. However, he kicked two goals, and by neat and accurate passing helped his comrades to score others.
Kelly (wing), Dunn (half forward) and Carter (rover and forward) were useful.
Particular mention must be made of three new men - Gough and Downs from Northcote, and Arthur from St. Kilda. Gough fully earned his five goals and marked excellently. Downs showed grit and determination, in addition to kicking and marking well, while there was no more outstanding player in the first half than Arthur, who also did well later on."
(Trove: Argus June 07, p7)

Jack Worrall

" The Richmond ground proved inadequate to accommodate the enormous crowd that turned up to see the match between that team and Carlton. So great was the pressure that hundreds spilled over onto the playing arena, several deep inside the fence. Accidents, of course, are likely to happen in such an eventuality, yet so intent were the inside spectators on the play that the game in no way suffered.
Rumour had it that Carlton had a fine body of players individually, but that team work, in its best and truest sense, had yet to be learnt. If that were so, it must be conceded that the team has lost no time in remedying its weakness, for in this match its team work was most impressive.
Carlton's style of play has always been an obstacle to Richmond's progress, and the reason, so puzzling to many, is really easy of solution. It may be strange to say so, yet Richmond have never learnt how to play on its own ground properly, and that in spite of the fact that Richmond is supposed to be hard to beat on its own ground.
Carlton has always played the long game at Richmond, straight down the centre, while Richmond has always fiddled about with that finnicking short game, which more often than otherwise means a loss of time and distance. And history once again repeated itself, as it was Carlton's long kicking down the centre which triumphed in the end, though only after a prolonged and desperate struggle, in which both sides fought it out to the bitter end in the fiercest manner possible. In spite of many errors, mostly made by Richmond men in their efforts at short passing, it was splendid exhibition of football, the high marking of many of the contestants being of an exceptionally brilliant character.
Carlton had strengthened its team by the inclusions of Arthur, from St. Kilda, and Downs and Gough from Northcote. The team had been rather weak in the roving department and in attack, and the idea was to have a second rover of class in the person of Downs, while Gough was included to stiffen the attack. And it can be stated, without any reservation, that its choice in the selection of the new men was an admirable one, for the trio not only justified their inclusion, but played splendidly all day. There was no doubt of Carlton's superiority in all branches in the first half, for even O'Halloran's wonderful high marking could not deprive Carlton of its general excellence even in that branch.
In determination, in strength and pace in coming through, in being quick onto their opponents, never giving them a chance to get clear away, in scouting outside the packs, and in the accuracy of their passing, cutting out the silly short-kick altogether, the Carlton players excelled. On any ground the long game is the winning one, while at Richmond, where three good kicks will send the ball from goal to goal, the short kick policy is simply suicidal. Richmond really lost its grip on the game in the first 50 minutes, though it made a wonderful rally later on. At the interval Carlton led 8.4 to 5.5, figures that did not presage the exciting finish that followed.
If Richmond had lost its grip in that first half it regained in the third term, when at one stage it led by 15 points. Although its chances of success still suffered from over-indulgence in the short game, the men were coming through better, and it looked as if the home team might win after all. But in the latter part of the term Carlton again asserted its ascendancy, and led by a point at the last change.
It was a great game, brimful of dash and incident, with not a man on either side turning the other cheek, and with that mighty throng wildly excited. The standard of play had improved all round, even the high marking being more brilliant. With a dying wind in its favour, Carlton still had the better outlook, though so dashing had been the play of Richmond that it appeared as if Carlton's assertiveness had received a decided check. For quite a time in the final quarter Richmond was the attacking side, and but its attacks were bungled by too much stab-kicking it would have assumed the lead. In the struggle for mastery there were some mighty striving, with men going over like ninepins, though luckily the turf was soft. Players threw themselves at each other regardless of consequences, and with victory hanging in the balance the roar of the crowd was of mighty volume. In the crisis, however, some wonderfully accurate kicking by Carlton turned the scale, and they won all out by 17.8 to 12.18 It is no use saying that had the Richmond players taken anything like full advantage of their opportunities the side would have won. The fact remains that the longest way round is the longest way home, and that is how the match was lost.
Carlton had many fine players in its ranks, and while it is extremely difficult to pick the best man, I would place no man on the side for quality and quantity of work in front of Connell, the manner in which he came through from the back reminding one of the defenders of Carlton in its palmy days. Others who played with rare distinction were Gough, Kelly, Carter, McSwain, Dunn, Donoghue, Brewis, Arthur, Duncan, Downs and Clover. Duncan marked grandly, yet he is always inclined to do something silly. Clover may not be the Clover of old, yet he passed well, and was always doing something useful."
(Trove: Australasian June 11 p36)

At the end of this round Carlton were in 5th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 112.4.


B: 21 Frank Irwin 33 Jim Watson 20 Ted Brewis
HB: 18 Frank Donoghue 32 Alex Duncan 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 15 Maurie Johnson 30 Vin Arthur
HF: 5 Les Johnson 1 Horrie Clover (cc) 16 Harvey Dunn
F: 9 George Hawking 14 George Gough 28 Tommy Downs
Ruck: 29 Maurie Connell 3 Charlie McSwain 25 Harold Carter (vc)
Coach: Horrie Clover


Debut: Tommy Downs, Vin Arthur and George Gough
Last game: George Hawking

Round 5 | Round 7
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , molsey , timmyd , WillowBlue , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 10 of April, 2018 07:14:52 AEST by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1990 Rd 2 - Dorotich & Gayfer wrestle for the ball.

Online Users

192 online users