Carlton defeated St Kilda by 58 points at Junction Oval.

Round 7, 1934

St Kilda2.4167.74911.97516.12108
Venue: Junction OvalDate: Saturday June 23, 1934
Result: Win by 58 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 33,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 5, J.Cooper 4, R.Cooper 4. A.Clarke 3, J.Cashman 2, M.Johnson 2, J.Kelly 2, C.Davey 1, B.Green 1.
Best: A.Clarke, C.Davey, R.Cooper, M.Johnson, F.Gill, J.Hale, J.Cashman, T.Ogden
Reports: Injuries: J.Hale (torn thigh) replaced by T.Pollock in third quarter.

Game Review

Carlton recorded our highest score to date in this easy victory over the Saints on their home ground.

It was a perfect day for football and the ground was in good condition. St. Kilda kicked towards the Fitzroy Street end goal.
The game began with fast and furious football and both sides attacked but behinds were only scored and at one stage Carlton led 0.5 to 0.3. Maurie Johnson to Harry Vallence and the Blues bought up their first goal. Charlie Davey then snapped Carlton's second goal and the score was 2.7 to 0.3 The Saints' forward line was breaking down and Frank Gill was dominating the back line. Jack Cooper marked brilliantly a driving kick from Joe Kelly and scored the Blues third. The Saints scored their first major and this was soon followed by their second goal. Carlton immediately replied through Ansell Clarke and at quarter time the Blues led 4.9 - 2.4
Early in the second term the Saints goaled, but this was answered by Ansell Clarke. Not to be outdone St.Kilda scored their fourth. The game was still being played at a fast pace and 'weight' was being used freely. Gordon Mackie's brother Ken Mackie was playing well for the Saints and was having the better over his navy blue brother. Jack Cooper's left foot snap scored the Blues' sixth goal. The home side was playing well and scored two goals to reduce the lead to seven points. 6.12 - 6.5 Once again Ansell Clarke scored a goal, and this was followed by a hurried kick by Jack Cooper which bounced through the unguarded goal. The Saints were matching the Blues except in the ruck where Charlie Davey held sway. Bob Green passed to skipper Maurie Johnson and he drop kicked a great goal from 50 yards out. Jack Cashman then marked close in and scored the tenth goal. Soon after good play by Ansell Clarke and Jack Cashman scored a goal. The Saints' lucky kick some how evaded the defenders and rolled through. Then Ron Cooper skilfully evading his opponents drop kicked the Blues' twelfth. At half time Carlton led 12.13 to 7.7
St.Kilda scored a goal soon after the restart, But Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp brilliantly handballed to Jack Cooper for the answering goal. Jack Cooper then followed this up with a great mark on the run and close in, but his shot badly missed. The pace was still a cracker. Due to the efforts of Charlie Davey and Jack Cashman, Carlton were still holding sway in the ruck, and many attacking moves resulted from the work of this duo. Joe Kelly out marked his opponent and punted the Blues' fourteenth major. The Blues were now beginning to dominate and Joe Kelly scored his second and Blues' lead was now 49 points. Then Ron Cooper drop kicked a 50 yard goal. St.Kilda added another goal. Good play by Maurie Johnson, Ansell Clarke and Ron Cooper allowed Ron to to reply.Harry Vallence then marked well out, but his long kick went through. Harry soon followed this up with another successful long goal, and Maurie Johnson bought up the Blues' 20th. The rattled Saints then added a couple of goals while the injured Jack Hale was carried off and replaced by Ted Pollock. At three quarter time the Blues led 20.18 - 11.9
Early goals to Ron Cooper and Harry Vallence increased the lead. St.Kilda then added three goals before Bob Green added to Carlton's tally then Harry Vallence scored the Blues' final goal. The Saints added one more before the final bell. The Blues won by 58 points 24.22 to 16.12

At the end of this round Carlton were in 3rd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 118.7.


B: 20 Alby De Luca 21 Frank Gill 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 11 Jack Hale
C: 7 Joe Kelly 32 Bob Green 27 Terry Ogden
HF: 19 Ron Cooper 22 Harry Vallence 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 4 Jack Cashman 33 Jack Cooper 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (vc) 15 Maurie Johnson (c) 18 Frank Finn
19th Man: 16 Ted Pollock
Coach: Dan Minogue


Debut: Frank Finn


Saturday's Sporting Globe said, "Finn replaced Shea (injured thigh) in the Carlton side. Ron Cooper was placed half forward in Shea's place, and Finn took up the rover's position."

Blues' captain Maurie Johnson turns a St.Kilda attack.
Image, Trove; Sporting Globe June 23

Round 6 | Round 8
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , WillowBlue , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , molsey , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , kkk , camelboy and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 31 of July, 2018 16:27:46 AEST by Jarusa.

Google Search

Random Image

1980 Rd 6 - Robbert Klomp and Alan Mangels fly above Nth Opponent.
1972 GF - perhaps the only mark Robert Walls spilt all match.jpg

Online Users

177 online users