Carlton defeated Geelong by 15 points at Corio Oval.

Round 11, 1932

Venue: Corio OvalDate: Saturday July 16, 1932
Result: Win by 15 pointsUmpire: Bob ScottCrowd: 14,000
Goalkickers: A.Clarke 3, H.Bullen 2, R.Cooper 1, J.Green 1, M.Johnson 1, F.O'Rourke 1, H.Vallence 1.
Reports: Injuries: H.Vallence (injured) replaced by F.O'Rourke in third quarter.
Best: Bullen, Gill, Mackie, Clarke, Davey, C. Martyn

Game Review

Poor kicking for goal from both teams didn't affect the outcome of this match.

Eric Little missed this game with an injured hip. Colin Martyn, now recovered from injury, took his place in the side.

In a tightly contested game, it took until the final quarter before Carlton wrested control; play being very congested and rugged all day.

Geelong, kicking with a slight breeze started well, with multiple attacks until they scored the first goal of the match. Jack Green, with a behind, and Clark with a goal gave Carlton the lead soon after. The rest of the opening quarter was all Geelong as they added four goals to lead by 29 points at the first change. Geelong could have been further ahead if they had kicked accurately, as they had dominated play but kicked nine behinds.

The second quarter was congested and very rough, with weight from both sides being thrown around freely. Geelong kicked three behinds in a row, before Bullen goaled from a free kick. A long goal from near the wing by Johnson followed. Further goals from Vallence, from a tight angle, and Clark, on the run, made the deficit only three points at half time.

Geelong started the third with several attacks on goal and kicked 1-1. Clarke replied with his third goal. Vallence, who was being outplayed, crashed heavily in a marking contest, and was taken from the field with a torn shoulder ligament. He was replaced by O’Rourke. A goal to Geelong late in the quarter gave them an 11 point lead at the final change.

Carlton was straight into attack when the final term started. The Blues were now winning in the air and around the ground. Cooper, after a long run, opened the scoring with a goal and Jack Green followed soon after, receiving an accurate pass from Kelly. For the rest of the game, Carlton was constantly in attack and Geelong’s defence was hard pressed. Two behinds from Crisp came before O’Rourke goaled to provide a handy 16 point lead late in the game. A Geelong goal was quickly answered by Bullen, kicking his second and ultimately the sealer goal. On the siren, Carlton had won by 15 points.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 2nd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 131.3


B: 18 Jack Young 21 Frank Gill (vc) 20 Charlie Street
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 2 Colin Martyn (c) 5 Leo Opray
HF: 13 Ralph Green 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 29 Horrie Bullen 22 Harry Vallence 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 32 Frank O'Rourke
Coach: Dan Minogue


Last game: Ralph Green

Round 10 | Round 12
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , WillowBlue , molsey , timmyd , camelboy and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 13 of June, 2017 14:25:45 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

Michael Sexton.
MD21 The Footballer 1975.jpg

Online Users

256 online users