The Blues managed just one goal against Essendon, in this debacle at Princes Park on Anzac Day.

Round 3, 1968

Carlton 0.6 6 0.7 7 1.10 11 1.11 17
Essendon 0.1 1 0.5 5 3.6 24 7.8 50
Venue: Princes Park Date: Thursday 25 April, 1968
Result: Lost by 33 points Umpire: Sleeth Crowd: 37,406
Goalkickers: Smith 1.
Reports: Nil Injuries: Nil
Ladder: 10th with 1 win, 2 losses (12 teams) and a percentage of 85.1

Game Review

show_image.php?id=15623This game was played on an Anzac Day holiday Thursday in extremely blustery conditions - there was a 30-35 miles per hour wind blowing across the ground. The wind was strong enough to up-end a hot dog booth at the south-eastern corner of Princes Park and send it rolling down the back of of the scoreboard pocket. Also witnessed was a large circular metal disc (about 5-6 ft in diameter) float down from the top of the partly-completed George Harris stand and come to rest behind the Heatley stand goals. I've often scoffed at news reports stating "it was a miracle no one was killed" but the fact everyone managed to scramble to safety before the disc landed was indeed a miracle. I had my doubts about Carlton in these conditions right from the start because I remember the narrow escape they had from South Melbourne in 1967 under similar conditions.

The game opened with both sides finding it very hard to cope with the windy conditions. They each had their share of shots at goal but neither team could kick with any accuracy. The game itself was a debacle as evidenced by the half-time score - a combined total of no goals 12 behinds. The match was a complete raffle an example being when Peter Smith (a good kick) missed with a set shot from 5 yards out directly in front.

To this stage both defences were well and truly on top and Carlton had an edge in the ruck.

The third term saw Fraser kick Essendon’s first goal and Gosper added another. Carlton broke through for their one and only goal for the match through the agency of Peter Smith at the 23 minute mark of the third term. Essendon showed uncanny judgement and won the ball time and time again. Their backmen particularly Davis, Gerlach and Epis were marking the ball splendidly which completely baffled the Carlton forwards. Barassi made changes in the final term but Essendon had bolted and overcome the windy conditions. They coasted home to an easy win in one of the worst games of league Football I have ever witnessed.

Carlton captain-coach Ron Barassi said in the Sun for the first time of the year: "I have no intention of retiring. Let's get that straight right now". He agreed his form wasn't up to his best, by added that was no reason to think of quitting. Barassi's confidence slumped after the Blues were trounced by Essendon, 7.8 to 1.11 - Football Life

Carlton’s best were Goold, Lofts, Nicholls, Smith and Hall. Essendon’s best were David and Gerlach, Epis, Fraser, Gosper and Anderson.


B: 19 Ian Collins 20 Wes Lofts 44 Ron Stone
HB: 11 John Goold 38 Bob Edmond 3 Kevin Hall
C: 32 Bryan Quirk 17 Brent Crosswell 6 Garry Crane
HF: 42 Robert Walls 1 Serge Silvagni 34 Ian Robertson
F: 28 Peter Jones 37 Peter Smith 23 Ian Nicoll
Ruck: 2 John Nicholls (vc) 31 Ron Barassi (cc) 10 Adrian Gallagher
Res: 9 Peter Kerr 22 Noel Bishop
Coach: Ron Barassi


Debut: Noel Bishop
Interesting Fact: It wouldn't just be this whitewash defeat in a Premiership year; this game was remembered at another horrible early season where glory would shortly follow...

Round 2 | Round 4
Contributors to this page: PatsFitztrick , PatsFitztrick , Bombasheldon , molsey , WillowBlue , Jarusa , kkk , steve , Juzz and admin .
Page last modified on Friday 13 of January, 2017 13:36:37 AEDT by PatsFitztrick .

Online Users

123 online users