Carlton lost to South Melbourne by 19 points at the MCG and excercised their right for a re-match the following week.

Preliminary Final, 1914

Carlton 0.1 1 3.5 23 3.6 24 3.6 24
South Melbourne 1.4 10 3.6 24 4.12 36 5.13 43
Venue: MCG Date: Saturday September 19, 1914
Result: Lost by 19 points Umpire: Rawle Crowd: 20,248
Goalkickers: B.Cook 2, G.Green 1.
Best: H.Burleigh, E.Jamieson, P.O'Brien, A.McDonald, S.Leehane, G.Green, H.Haughton.
Reports: Injuries:

Trove: Sporting Judge Sept. 19

Game Review

The game was afflicted by showers, and while Carlton matched South Melbourne in the first half, South adapted to the conditions better in the second, kicking 2 goals 7 behinds while holding the Blues to a solitary behind.

After winning the Minor Premiership, Carlton had the right of challenge, a right which it would use to challenge South Melbourne to a winner take all Grand Final the following week. Two changes would be made to the team that played in this game.

This game provided our first loss since Round 6, ending a 12 game winning streak that would be a Carlton record until the 1980's.

"Certainly the Blues were unfortunate concerning their centre-line. Against Fitzroy Challis was hurt, and unable to play; and Baud, so tricky in defence was to have been substituted for Challis on the wing. Meanwhile influenza got Baud in holts, and he was missing from the eighteen, which then included Triplett."
"The Carlton backs were working late, and earned their overtime. Jamieson (between the uprights) was the star of the back markers, his defence work being a treat to view. In the third act he showed a clean pair of heels to the Southerners in a dash half-way round the arena. It was a brilliant effort, and fully deserved the cheers.
On the back line Leehane was as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. On the day, his work was unbeatable , and none approached him for general excellence. Captain Dick and McDonald were always going full speed ahead, the former, in the initial stages, repeatedly landing the ball amongst the attack division.
Burleigh went harder as the game progressed, until, in the final stage, his name was most on onlookers' lips; whilst once again must Morris receive special mention. The Tatura man played at break- neck speed all through; cool as an Arctic shower, his dashes never failed to produce applause.
"Scotty" Lowe reproduced his form of the previous week, and both he and Daykin were instrumental in helping McKenzie and Green to what success came their way. These two, with Fisher and Cook, were mighty useful in the little forward play form exposed to view.
Summing up, Carlton were best served by Leehane, Jamieson, Morris, Lowe, Burleigh, and Daykin, and had the rest played with equal vim the margin of points would, to say the least, have not been nearly so large."
(Melbourne Punch September 24 p50)


B: 28 Herb Burleigh 15 Ernie Jamieson 10 Paddy O'Brien
HB: 8 Andy McDonald 1 Billy Dick (c) 7 Steve Leehane
C: 18 Frank Triplett 19 Rod McGregor 2 Ted Brown
HF: Stan McKenzie 30 Jack Lowe 22 Bill Cook
F: 3 Percy Daykin 17 Gordon Green 21 Charlie Fisher
Ruck: 16 Harry Haughton (vc) 24 Charlie Hammond 29 Jimmy Morris
Coach: Norman Clark


Last game: Stan McKenzie
Score Records: This loss marked the end of 12 successive wins, Carlton's equal third best winning streak ever

Semi Final | Grand Final
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , molsey , camelboy , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 22 of February, 2015 15:28:03 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Online Users

247 online users