Carlton lost to Richmond by 4 points - MCG.

Grand Final, 1921

Carlton 2.2 14 3.4 22 3.6 24 4.8 32
Richmond 1.2 8 1.3 9 3.4 22 5.6 36
Venue: MCG Date: Saturday October 15, 1921
Result: Lost by 4 points Umpire: McMurray Crowd: 43,122
Goalkickers: A.Duncan 1, S.McLatchie 1, B.Boromeo 1, J.Stephenson 1.
Best: B.Boromeo (BOG), S.McLatchie, P.O'Brien, C.Fisher, E.Jamieson, J.Greenhill, R.Hiskins.
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

As with the previous week, conditions were less than perfect for the Grand Final, with strong wind and rain affecting the match. Carlton won the toss in the Grand Final and took a gamble by kicking against a strong wind. An early goal to Horrie Clover helped the Blues to make the most of this strategy, kicking 2 goals to 1 in the first quarter. Another goal with the wind in the second quarter helped extend the lead, Carlton up by 13 points in what looked like a match winning lead. The Blues had made every post a winner in the first half, with only the strong Richmond defence keeping them in the game.

Richmond knew that they must make a move with the breeze in the third term, and their defence was again excellent, holding the Blues to only 2 behinds. Meanwhile Richmond's talls started to get into the game, and they managed 2 goals to get back within 2 points of Carlton at the final change.

After being the form team all year, and only dropping one home and away game to Richmond's four, the Blues looked to be in a good position since they were kicking with the wind in the last term. The Tigers goaled early in the last term through Hughie James, but Carlton responded to take a 2 point lead, before Norm Turnbull kicked another for the Tigers to put them in front with eight minutes to go in the last quarter. With the ground turning into a quagmire, both sides slugged it out for the remainder of the match. The Blues swept forward inside the last minute, and Alex Duncan seemed set to mark within a gettable distance - but the ball was brilliantly taken by Richmond's vice captain Max Hislop. Carlton ran out of time, and the Tigers hung on to win by a bare four points.

In the wash-up to the match, a previous captain of the Blues; Charlie Fisher, as well as the current captain, Gordon Green, both announced their retirement.

Free Kicks - 106

Carlton 55
Richmond 51


An incident occurred behind play during the first quarter when Jack Greenhill was found lying on the ground, with Richmond's Don walking away from him. Ambulance men attended Greenhill and managed to get him to his feet, he attempted to get across to Don, but was restrained. Greenhill tried again and approached him, but Don walked away. Three police constables walked onto the field to prevent further trouble and Richmond's captain Minogue spoke to the two players and calmed things down.
No offical saw the incident, but thousands of fans did. Later as the players came off the ground Carlton barrackers attacked Don and knocked him down.


B: 15 Croft McKenzie 4 Ernie Jamieson 22 Harry Toole
HB: 18 Wally Raleigh 10 Paddy O'Brien 6 Jack Greenhill (vc)
C: 3 Jack Stephenson 13 Billy Blackman 8 Newton Chandler
HF: 20 Alex Duncan 1 Horrie Clover 27 Bert Boromeo
F: 2 Percy Daykin 16 Gordon Green (c) 7 Charlie Fisher
Ruck: 25Frank Martin 5 Rupe Hiskins 21 Stewart McLatchie
Coach: Norman Clark


Last games: Percy Daykin, Charlie Fisher, Gordon Green, Wally Raleigh

Preliminary Final | 1922
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , molsey , timmyd , BlueWorld , WillowBlue , true_blue24 , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Wednesday 26 of February, 2014 10:32:32 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Online Users

52 online users