Blue Heaven! Carlton destroyed Richmond by 27 points in an orgy of goals at the MCG. Premiership number 11!

Grand Final, 1972

Venue: MCGDate: October 7, 1972
Result: Won by 27 pointsUmpire: Bill DellerCrowd: 112,393
Goalkickers: A.Jesaulenko 7, R.Walls 6, J.Nicholls 6, T.Keogh 3, S.Jackson 2, A.Gallagher 1, K.Hall 1, D.Dickson 1, N.Chandler 1.
Best: R.Walls, J.Nicholls, B.Doull, B.Armstrong, G.Southby, A.Jesaulenko, P.Jones, T.Keogh, A.Gallagher, D.Dickson, P.Hurst.
Reports: N.Balme (Rich) striking D.McKay (Carl) during the second quarter.
Injuries: V.Waite (ankle), Richmond (pride).

Game Review

This was Carlton's highest score at the MCG for more than 40 years, and remains as the greatest-ever score in a Grand Final - 177 points on a sensational Blue day. Even Richmond's losing total was the equal of the previous-highest winning Grand Final score. Carlton's first quarter of 8.4 and its second quarter of 10.2 were also records. Alex Jesaulenko (7), Robert Walls (6) and John Nicholls (6) kicked 19 goals between them. Peter Jones took over from Nicholls in the ruck and gave a tireless display. Bruce Doull and Geoff Southby kept the Tiger forwards at bay until the last quarter, when the contest had well and truly been decided, and Carlton's star centre half-forward Robert Walls was judged Best on Ground by a panel of experts.

Blues bolt in for VFL flag with record score.

To read The Canberra Times story of the match click here. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article102007985


I remember going to the 1972 Grand Final with my dad and two of my brothers. Dad got standing room tickets. We flowed with the crowd into the MCG stands and found ourselves bathed in sunlight right up against the fence that separated us from those lucky enough to have seats.

The thing that sticks in my mind about this game is goals. More goals than you can poke a stick at. Finals football is supposed to be about pressure and defence, but someone forgot to tell Carlton that.

Big Nick parked himself in the forward pocket and the Bluebaggers went mad. Looking at the scores now you would think that Richmond might have had a chance. No! This game was over by quarter time. Of all the finals I have seen only the 1995 comes close to this final as one to simply relax and enjoy. After our first four goals, Dad gave me the footy record and let me mark the goals because they were coming too fast for him to keep up.

I stood at the fence and marked each goal, screamed with joy and laughed as dad danced a little jig after every single Big Nick goal. When I think of that game I think of dad's smiling face; the sheer joy etched upon his face as his beloved blues romped home in a hailstorm of goals.

We left as the siren sounded and streamed from the ground with thousands of Bluebaggers singing the grandest football song and watching the stunned Tiger supporters dragging their black and yellow scarves behind them like lost dogs. It was truly a Grand day and it made up for that horrid day in 1969 when dad had turned to me and said during the third quarter, 'we won't get up son.' In '72 thousands of Richmond dads turned to their sons at quarter time and said 'we won't get up son.'

More Memories

Saw the drawn final at VFL Park when Jezza tried to drop kick a score from 65 metres after the siren.
Witnessed the replay the following week and Richmond's win, and Carlton's win over St.Kilda in the Prelim Final.

We hadn't beaten Richmond in a final for 50 years. The Tigers were dead set, red hot favourites.

I was in the Southern stand with some mates, standing room only.

Could not believe it, Percy Jones in the ruck, Big Nick resting in forward pocket. What a collosus!
Quarter-time unbelieveable, 8.4.52, this must be a dream. It even got better at half time. 18.6.114!
Jezza, Nicholls, Walls,"Percy" Jones. etc, etc. Goal after goal, after goal.
The slaughter continued in the third term, and was all over at the break; 25.9.159!

Carlton took their foot off the pedal in the last, and allowed them in for some concession goals.
28.9.177, what fantastic kicking. We headed out to Princes Park that night, a great night had by all.

This game was master-minded by Carlton's greatest son John Nicholls. He moved himself to a permanent forward pocket and Peter Jones into the ruck.
He had planned this move straight after the Replay, but he kept to the traditional role against The Saints. Richmond had no answer to his dominance on the forward line.

Big Nick's greatest day; captain-coach of the 1972 Carlton Football Club Premiership team. Do your self a favour, and get hold of this DVD!


B: 19 John O'Connell 20 Geoff Southby 43 David McKay
HB: 30 Vin Waite 11 Bruce Doull 33 Paul Hurst
C: 34 Ian Robertson (dvc) 12 Barry Armstrong 27 David Dickson
HF: 22 Neil Chandler 42 Robert Walls (vc) 5 Syd Jackson
F: 2 John Nicholls (cc) 25 Alex Jesaulenko 8 Trevor Keogh
Ruck: 28 Peter Jones 3 Kevin Hall 10 Adrian Gallagher
Res: 7 Andy Lukas 6 Garry Crane
Coach: John Nicholls


In : G. Crane
Out : G. Kennedy

Note : Andrew Lukimitis had changed his name to Lukas from 1971.


Score Records : This was Carlton's highest score against Richmond for almost 40 years, before being overtaken in Season 2011
Score Records : This remains Carlton's highest ever finals score
50 Games : Neil Chandler
Last Game : Adrian Gallagher


Listen to 3KZ's Radio Commentary of the Grand Final



Preliminary Final | 1973
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , PatsFitztrick , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , molsey , sideshow_bob , BlueWorld , jones_s_a , WillowBlue , AGRO , camelboy , dannyboy and admin .
Page last modified on Wednesday 19 of February, 2020 23:45:27 AEDT by Jarusa.

Google Search

Random Image

1996 - Can Carlton do it again?
1980 - Percy Jones retires (21/06/80).

Online Users

136 online users