Carlton defeated St Kilda by a comfortable 56 points at the MCG, putting the Blues into their third Grand Final in four years.

Semi Final, 1907

Carlton 4.2 26 9.5 59 11.8 74 13.13 91
St Kilda 1.0 6 2.2 14 3.8 26 4.11 35
Venue: MCG Date: Saturday September 14, 1907
Result: Won by 56 points Umpire: Wregg Crowd: 26,100
Goalkickers: M.Grace 4, D.Harris 3, G.Topping 2, F.Caine 1, H.Kelly 1, C.Hammond 1, A.Lang 1.
Best: G.Johnson, C.Hammond, F.Jinks, G.Bruce, J.Flynn, D.Harris, B.Payne, M.Gotz, A.Lang, G.Topping.
Reports: Injuries: McGregor (Broken Nose).

Game Review

The 1907 VFL Semi Finals began on the afternoon of Saturday, September 7 at the MCG, when South Melbourne handed Collingwood their fourth straight loss and knocked the Magpies out of Premiership contention. On this following Saturday, Carlton met St Kilda on the same ground, to decide who would meet the Lakesiders in the Grand Final.

Carlton coach Jack Worrall made four important changes to his team, bringing back captain Jim Flynn, vice-captain Norman Clark, pacey winger George Bruce and full-back Doug Gillespie. Those omitted were Jim Kennedy, Alby Ingleman, Bert Wheeler and Frank Williams.

Carlton’s great strengths all year had been their defence and their ruck division, and was those assets that came to the fore again in this lop-sided contest. The Blues defenders, particularly Gillespie, Flynn and Billy Payne, didn’t give their opponents a centimetre of space all afternoon. ‘Mallee’ Johnson and Alex Lang dominated the ball-ups and throw-ins, while Mick Grace took some spectacular high marks on the way to kicking 4 goals. Dick Harris steered through three majors and George Topping booted two, as the Blues led by 20 points at quarter-time, and 45 points at half-time with the game already won. The final margin was a crushing 56 points.

The only setback for Carlton occurred with five minutes left in the match, when star centreman Rod McGregor suffered a broken nose. He would be unable to play in the Grand Final, but his absence would provide an opportunity for one of the Blues’ lesser lights to shine the following week, on Victorian football’s biggest stage.

Saint Jack

Blue to be Jack Wells captained the Saints.


B: Norman Clark (vc) Doug Gillespie Les Beck
HB: Martin Gotz Jim Flynn (c) Billy Payne
C: Ted Kennedy Rod McGregor George Bruce
HF: Frank Caine Harvey Kelly Fred Jinks
F: Mick Grace Dick Harris George Topping
Ruck: George Johnson Charlie Hammond Alex Lang
Coach: Jack Worrall


In: J.Flynn, N.Clark, G.Bruce, D.Gillespie
Out: J.Kennedy, A.Ingleman, B.Wheeler, F.Williams


50 Games: Frank Caine
Image Three quarter time break, Back left ((Les Beck,
18 players, possibly Mick Grace sitting second from left, Dick Harris third from left, George 'Mallee' Johnson sitting fourth from left, next Frank Caine (grey hair), George Bruce seventh from left, Jim Flynn, Rod McGregor.
Billy Payne seated third from right next to child.Norman Clark seated second from right Image Image Image Image

Norm Clark (left) and "Mallee" Johnson (centre)
Image: SLV, Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News (Melb)

Round 17 | Grand Final
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , camelboy , WillowBlue , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Friday 06 of January, 2023 21:04:01 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

Geoff Southby Article (02/05/01).
1990 Pre-season game - Grant Povey on the burst.

Online Users

323 online users